Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I play a stock Meyer 6M right now. I have wanted something brighter for a long time but really wanted to master this thing first:banghead:. I hear Quantums are great on tenor but haven't heard much about them on alto. I'm thinking of trying the Quantum or Smoothbore. Does the Q have a small bite?:faceinpalm: What exactly is a duck bill?:dontknow:
I want something brighter but still fat:rr:. Brighter but not really bright and shrill. My list for MPs to try for now are: Yana Metal 7, Vandoren Jumbo Java A35, CE Winds silver shocka? And a Runyon 6. Is the Smoothbore to thin?
Any help would be great..:pepsi:.. . ..Thanks!:mrgreen:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,960 Posts
to me the only issue with the quantum on alto is the small bite. its great otherwise -its bright and powerfull-i get the best tone i have ever had on alto-but i cant play it for long due to the small bite. you might try the bionix. its not overly bright and has a traditional shape and feel. the xl was my fav runyon -but no longer sold it seems. smooth bore is same in metal.

·
Registered
8,975 Posts
The Delrin Quantums have small bites. I used 2-3 thick black MP patches on mine. The metal Quantum is available with an optional plastic tooth deck.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Delrin Quantums have small bites. I used 2-3 thick black MP patches on mine. The metal Quantum is available with an optional plastic tooth deck.
I looked around online and couldn't find it available with a tooth deck. I guess I'll just get some patches for it if I like it.

·
Forum Contributor 2012-2015
1,325 Posts
A good alternative to the Quantum is the modern Brilhart Levelair. Exactly the same baffle and chamber as the Quantum but without the small bite.

Super 20 Dan-Bionix not overly bright? Just speaking from my own experience,but this is the brightest mouthpiece I think I have ever played. To me the Bionix defines the term "paint peeler". Maybe it's just me.

To the OP-I'd avoid the Jumbo Java if I were looking for something "not really bright and shrill". The Yanagisawa would be a good piece for you to try I think.

·
2,960 Posts
to me the bionex isnt all that bright. the x land quantum are brighter. the bionex is about the same as the jody jazz and the jazz custom

·
Registered
8,975 Posts
One problem I have seen with the modern LAs is that retailers tend to stock them in Link sizes. But the Runyon tip opening scale is much different. You need to get a Runyon 11 to get a .109" tip opening on bari. That is similar to a Link 7.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are Brilhart Levelairs known to be somewhat consistant like Runyons, Yanas and Vandoren?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To the OP-I'd avoid the Jumbo Java if I were looking for something "not really bright and shrill". The Yanagisawa would be a good piece for you to try I think.
Thanks for your reply!
Your probably right. The main reason I want to try one is because they're suppose to be a lot like Dukoffs. I tryed a couple of Dukoffs a year or two ago and like them, but they were (the usual) squeak heaven!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've been playing the Runyon Custom Spoiler #8 (red!) for 10 years and love that piece. Smooth, loud, full, bright enough but still sings and very versatile. I also have a custom Jazz #8 I just bought (blue) and am going to experiment with for the next few years...feels a bit more focused/targeted than my custom but still very playable. I tried both a Quantum #8 and #9 when I tried out the Jazz and compared all to my custom. I hated the Quantum...but I really wanted to like it. It was thin, difficult to keep in tune, lacked the full expressive body of my custom and the jazz and was generally a disappointment to me. It felt ok in the middle register but as you go up, its a difficult piece to control and to sound good.

·
2,960 Posts
i wish i could play the alto quantum . i sound better on it than any other mpc but cant play it long due to the small beak. same goes for soprano

1 - 12 of 12 Posts