Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Distinguished SOTW Member
4,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well to start with -the custom soprano and quantum. my best friend is retiring and is a highly skilled lathe operator and tool maker and sax player as well as chemical engineer. he wants with my help to copy these 2 models and machine them on his lathe. he is building a facing machine also to copy my runyon models. we plan to make both metal and delrin and possibly hard rubber models. wish us luck! if we are successful will most likely make other p0pular runyon models in tenor and bari like the quantum. of course i will lobby for a jazz custom alto model as well down the road.

· Registered
8 Posts
Yes!! i knew someone was thinking of this!!!! I look forward to hearing about the development regarding the comeback of the Runyon Custom Soprano pieces! maybe he can make the runyon custom soprano pieces in hard rubber as well & include the removable spoiler baffle?

4,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i am pushing for the sop custom to be hard rubber. no thoughts yet on a spoiler . this is still in the planning stages tho he all ready has everything needed except for the facing machine. neither of us know how to hand face . all runyons were done on a facing machine tho and turned out pretty darn good. greg weir lives close to us and i am thinking of asking him to consult for facing corrections etc. i met him at a gig in st aug and he came up and commented on my red runyon jazz custom(pretty hard to miss)

· Registered
King Super 20
973 Posts
I wonder what's going on at the shuttered Runyon plant? Perhaps a family member would love to sell you a mouthpiece facing machine at a give away price. It would be interesting to see what's still in there.

4,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the runyon factroy is no more -gone forever. all machines and contents auctioned off last fall. everything! too bad timming wasnt right to get that facing machine! all i scored was a bunch of clarinet mpcs. they are really good players but not what most remember runyon for. its a shame no one in the family cared enough to try and save the runyon biz.
Please pardon my ignorance, but what was it that attracted folks to the Runyon Custom Soprano piece?
What were their characteristics?
for one grover washington jr played one. the soprano custom was cheap-easy to play and solved almost all tunning issues with most sopranos. vintage and modern. it was so horn friendly you could even use it on a c soprano

· Registered
135 Posts
It's a darn shame what happened to Runyon. I have a Runyon alto mouthpiece, and while having a very bright tone (even without the baffle), it plays great. Apparently, they also made single reed basson mouthpieces, which is unusual. I wanted to try some of their mouthpieces on soprano and tenor, but alas, it's gone forever.

4,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yes runyon was extremely innovative. he was working on a oboe mpc but it never came to be. my partner and i are working on reproducing the soprano custom mpc . we are 3/4 of the way there. a few more months and hopefully a proto type will be perfected

4,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
we are too. my partner is making most of the tools needed by hand. it takes time as both of us are still working day jobs . we will be making the blanks on a lathe and the facing will be done on a duplication machine copying the original runyon facings.

· Registered
12 Posts
I play runyon custom on soprano and alto and I wish I had never sold my runyon smoothbore bari piece. I'm excited to see people trying to manufacture runyon copies. They are great designs - Runyon was such a pioneer! Charlie Parker took lessons from Runyon in Chicago and I believe played a Runyon mthpc at least part of his career (we all experiment so much!) Runyon made the H Couf mouthpieces that Grover played too. I have two of those for tenor.

4,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
our work on this goal continues and we are making progress. the machines to do this have to be custom made and its taking time. my partner is making all the machines by hand himself. i am personally working on ligature desighns and most likely will be 3d printed. as we all know the ligature for the custom soprano model was lacking . i hope to improve this. a rovner is always an option but i have discovered a desighn i really like thats 3d printed.

· Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
ALTO: Medusa- 82zii, TENOR: Medusa, BARI: b901, SOP: sc991
8,019 Posts
Were you able to get Greg Weir on board? He has made me some outstanding mouthpieces in the past.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts