Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was just wanting to get some information and opinions (if possible) on an old mouthpiece I was given. I have not been able to find anything on it online so I might already have my answer. I was also told it was a vintage.

But it is a tenor Runyon #6 and it has a grey/metal band around the start of the shank.

I am of the impression that you do not really need to buy a billion mouthpieces to improve, but a good one would definitely make the process of improving one's tone go a little quicker. I am just a relative beginner though.....Again, anything would help.

Attachments

·
Registered
677 Posts
I bought a box of Runyons two years ago for my college big band section and refaced most of them to make them play. Well, some of them played well out of the box. These mouthpieces were not very special ones from my point of view (I'm a professional jazz player) but they helped the kids a lot to get a more focused sound that competed better with the brass section. They were also a bit better than most of the beginner mouthpieces that came with their horns.
I'd say try it and if it feels comfortable for you and makes things easier (i.e. articulation and getting a nice tone without to much effort) then play it until you've developed your skills and until you know where you want to go with your sound and playing.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,512 Posts
Some models are more interesting than others. Runyon made pieces for a long time. Without pics its hard to say what you have. Unless its some crazy paint peeling high baffle piece it should serve you well for some time.

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
1,146 Posts
A piece of plastic you might favor if sounding like a kazoo is your bag.
Marshall Royal was a pretty good kazoo player....as was Art Pepper.... :).

Reactions: avan

·
Distinguished Member and Bass Sax Extraordinaire
1,008 Posts
What happened to all the Runyon lovers on this site? I remember for a while all people talked about was Runyon MPs. (Hence this particular sub-forum.) What a fickle bunch sax players are...

To the OP: Mojo mentioned needed seeing the baffle and throat geometry--he is a guy who knows what he's talking about.

Some Runyons are actually well-respected vintage pieces, and were played by some of the great players back in the day. The company's founder, Santy Runyon, forgot more about mouthpieces, than 95% of the membership of this forum knows.

Santy was a pro sax player, who developed his very successful company from the ground up, and worked in it, until he died a few years back as an octogenarian. He was also an expert MP refacer, and came up with the idea of adapting certain bari MPs for bass saxophones.

Do some research for yourself on Santy Runyon, and Runyon MPs. That said, any MP is just a tool to assist you in getting the sound you "hear in your head". For some, they get that sound on a Runyon, for others, a Runyon doesn't work.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
What happened to all the Runyon lovers on this site? I remember for a while all people talked about was Runyon MPs. (Hence this particular sub-forum.) What a fickle bunch sax players are...
I still love Runyon pieces. I've played a number of them over the years. I always had good luck with them, but had (sure, HAD) tremendous GAS back in the day, and I'm kicking myself for getting rid of some of them (Jaguar, anyone?) I still have JodyJazz Classics across S/A/T/B/Cl, which are slightly modified Runyon Customs (some are even marked "Runyon"), and play them regularly.

I think Runyon's troubles a couple years ago knocked them out of the public consciousness, and now they're down to just a few of the models they offered before, just the Custom, 88, and 22, plus a couple clarinet models. Even though it doesn't seem like something I'd like, I've always wanted to try a Quantum; and I really would like to give the Jaguar another go. Maybe some of those other pieces will make a comeback.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
27,189 Posts
Fickle has nothing to do with it. There used to be folks with Runyon connections that ran the forum way back when. Runyon was pushed big time and criticism was tempered accordingly. Heck, I myself fell prey to it, with my first SOTW inspired purchase being a Runyon Quantum/Duck Call. Being critical of them put me on the wrong side of the business interests that ran the scene here, and I couldn't come back until they were gone.

·
1,146 Posts
Talkin' tenor kazoo here.
That's funny....I have a couple of Runyon tenor pieces that play very well....Jaguar in particular....and I play a Runyon smooth bore on soprano...the one you played may not be representative of all of them....

·
1,146 Posts
I still love Runyon pieces. I've played a number of them over the years. I always had good luck with them, but had (sure, HAD) tremendous GAS back in the day, and I'm kicking myself for getting rid of some of them (Jaguar, anyone?) I still have JodyJazz Classics across S/A/T/B/Cl, which are slightly modified Runyon Customs (some are even marked "Runyon"), and play them regularly.

I think Runyon's troubles a couple years ago knocked them out of the public consciousness, and now they're down to just a few of the models they offered before, just the Custom, 88, and 22, plus a couple clarinet models. Even though it doesn't seem like something I'd like, I've always wanted to try a Quantum; and I really would like to give the Jaguar another go. Maybe some of those other pieces will make a comeback.
I have a Jaguar tenor, great piece....not sure how many are in circulation....

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
I have a Jaguar tenor, great piece....not sure how many are in circulation....
I don't think they sold them for very long (a couple years, maybe), and they don't seem to pop up on the used market very often. Those who have them must be hanging onto them.

·
Registered
9,134 Posts
The Jag is a Smoothbore with a an angled cylindrical groove in the baffle. Nice design for those looking for something warmer sounding than a Smoothbore. I once converted a Smoothbore into a Jag for a client. I think it was Santy’s last design before he passed.

BTW, Grumps over the years has provided some needed balance to this forum. His opposing views on Runyons and Refacing in general help to balance out the many zealots. You should think about these things and not just go with the masses.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
27,189 Posts
I appreciate the kind words Mojo. If I ever needed a mouthpiece repaired or otherwise worked on, I would have no hesitation in engaging your services. You are a true professional.

·
1,146 Posts
BTW, Grumps over the years has provided some needed balance to this forum. His opposing views on Runyons and Refacing in general help to balance out the many zealots. You should think about these things and not just go with the masses.
Balance is a good thing....and there are a few runyons that aren't very good, there are some that are very good....my sop smooth bore is the best sop piece I've played....and nice work on my berg.... :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,874 Posts
Santy Runyon taught Jody Espina of Jody Jazz fame a lot about mouthpieces. I wouldn't put down Runyon mouthpieces. They have their place in mouthpiece history.
I used an SR for many years, which can be quite dark with an edge. That edge seems to be mistaken for a "kazoo" by some but if you learn how to control the piece, the sound becomes dark with an edge. I could get it to do what I wanted.... from loud to soft to kazoo.... if that's your thing. Years ago Runyon was at least a "must try" that was recommended by many teachers and pros.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts