Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that a mouthpiece comparison is kind of arbitrary because everyone will play them differently; mpcs affect the sound but they don't make it.

With that said, has anyone heard or played on either the Runyon Custom or Vandoren Jumbo Java A45? :mrgreen: I've heard good things about each of these mouthpieces. I currently have a Yamaha 4C and a JodyJazz HR* 6M, with a YAS-62 alto.

I'd like to get a brighter sounding mpc with a bigger chamber in order to play smooth jazz (a sound like Grover Washington Jr).

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Wow! I was thinking that going from a Yam 4C to a A45 is huge jump... but if you're also comfortable with the Jody 6M then another +0.01 isn't going too far I guess. I am myself guilty of making large, mostly unnecessary mpc leaps! :blackeye:

I haven't played the Runyon so I won't comment much further however, I do like the Jumbo Java. But I'm not sure if I'd label it's sound as 'smooth'...

·
Registered
46 Posts
I haven't really played Runyon mouthpieces but I do play on a Vandoren Jumbo Java A45 and I've made it my main mouthpiece. And I can get a smooth tone from it, but it took me awhile to get used to it. So be prepared for that if you decide to buy it

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,960 Posts
the runyon custom isnt in the same brightness league as the vandy jumbo. not fair to compare them

1 - 6 of 6 Posts