Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, friend of mine just gave me an custom alto mpc w/spoiler however it does not have a lig. mpc was given to him from someone else. did some searching & found that according to saxplus site it recommends the rovner L4 clarinet mpc would fit. but heard from someone else that an L5 would be a better fit. would appreciate some feedback from custom owners who can recommend the L4 or L5? thx.
btw-how do you guys like the runyon custom? cant wait to try it out! once i get my lig! thanks guys!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008,
3,891 Posts
Get the number off Dave's site www.junkdude.com and give him a call tomorrow. He's a good guy to help with lig sizing

In the meantime, Throw that reed on with some masking tape, one of my favorite impromptu ligs!

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
I use either a Vandoren inverted lig. or the Runyon single-screw metal lig on mine, although I'm not sure there's a functional difference. I use them interchangeably. Do you guys have an aversion to the Runyons? Actually, I don't know if they're available any more, so maybe you haven't seen them.

BTW, and this has nothing to do with my above comment, but I've got a couple of extra back-ups - that is, the Runyon single-screw metal ligs - I could part with if anyone's interested. Say $8.00 + $2.00 postage & handling?

·
27,650 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,960 Posts
gary-i dont think the metal runyon lig is aval any longer -too bad it works great .

·
27,650 Posts
super20dan said:
gary-i dont think the metal runyon lig is aval any longer -too bad it works great .
I agree. I got my inverted Vandoren at a considerably higher cost based on advice here. And that was good advice, it's a good lig and it works well with the Custom. However, I just don't feel/hear any real difference between the Vandoren and the Runyon lig. instead.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
I liked a Rovner ED clarinet lig on my Jody Jazz, which is basically a variant on the Custom. I don't care for the regular Rovners but the ED has metal contacts to hold the reed and doesn't seem to muffle the response.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,960 Posts
i dont know why runyon discontinued this lig. it worked great on every mpc i tried it on -from sop to tenorsax. a great low cost inverted met lig with minial contact to the reed with a flexable desighn thet formed itsself to the mpc perfectly. i once tried to get jody to supply these with the jj classic instead of the rovner. i am shure most would agree this lig is hands down better than the plastic ones you get today from runyon.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts