Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This fall I'm going to be playing some swing tunes on the marching field, and I've been lucky enough to get a shot at a few solos. I'm currently playing on an unmarked mpc that came with my sax, which gets the job done for what I'm working on now, but I'd like an upgrade. I've taken a look at the site and the Runyon custom looks promising - a good, inexpensive all-around mpc. There are the color choices as well, a nice bonus IMO. :D What type of sound do these typically offer? I'm not looking for a piercing, obnoxiously bright sound but my current mpc is dark, in some cases almost "stuffy", and I need something a bit less heavy with more projection. This is for tenor, and I'm looking to get a #7 facing, if that helps at all. Thanks.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
hakukani said:
Bright, edgy.
I have to disagree with my Kanaka friend. I used one in big band for several years and I got a bit of a sweet sound out of it, when needed. I also played it for several years in funk and pop bands but I don't think it ever got bright or edgy. Play it without the spoiler - or get Jody Espina's basic JJ which is similar but hand finished. I think these are good bangs for the buck BTW.

Oh yeah, Art Pepper played a Custom #7 during his last years. Of course Art's Art and you are you, but if you could get your hands on a few of his later recordings you can get an idea of at least how one guy sounded on one.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,207 Posts
hakukani said:
Bright, edgy.
Gary's right. I mis-read the post. I thought we were talking about the Quantum.

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
I used to have a Red Custom Spoiler (miss that thing) Also have a Quantum, which is a loud beast, but also thick sounding. How it sounds depends, of course, on the player, but also on the horn, a dark sounding mpc on a dark horn can sound like mud, and vice versa. I like to balance a dark horn with a bright mouthpiece.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,960 Posts
on tenor -the custom isnt that bright-you want the quantum for tenor.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
It's a good piece. Definitely better than a stock piece. Go for it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've recently purchased one and can say I like it much more than the Dukoff I have. It's bright and edgy but much easier to control than the Dukoff. The catch is finding the right reed for it. I'm used to using 2 1/2 reed but it didn't sound to good so I switched to Rico Jazz Select 3 and the tone is amazing. I think the Runyon (with the spoiler in) will now be my main mouthpiece.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I appreciate the quick replies everyone. I've done a bit more research and have decided to go ahead and order it. Sorry Dan!

·
1,001 Posts
This is probably too late but GET ONE WITH THE SPOILER. You can always slide out the spoiler if you want more of a dark, mellow sound. But you can't put it in if you don't have it on hand. (You can buy it separately later for a few bucks more.)

Good luck.

For tenor there are better pieces but they cost a few more $100's of bucks and sound only just a little better.

·
2,960 Posts
i agree bill- i a-b ed my quantum and my custom yesterday due to this post-the quantum is just awesume! . well java -i hope you ordered the spoiler also.

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist / Forum Contributor 2
4,202 Posts
I think the alto piece is one of the all time classics. A seriously great jazz mouthpiece. The tenor version is nice and has a good centered sound with a fair amount of projection. I'm more partial to the SR tenor piece but I like a very different vibe on tenor than most people.

I carry the Runyon pieces for what I think is a very reasonable price.

·
2,960 Posts
i also favor the sr on tenor too.also agreethe alto custom is one of the best alto mpcs of all time

1 - 16 of 16 Posts