Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone seen a Runyon refaced Conn Comet for alto (in amber). Not a conn comet designed by runyon. But a Runyon made from old stock conn comets stamped runyon. I have one for tenor a 8. The comets were only made in sizes up to 5. I. Have a runyon blue custom 7 and white 88 size 8. I could barely use a 5 comet itd be so small, id need to up my reeds. Bigger is fine too, idk how big they came. The comet was made at the same time as my 6m and are a nice match. The micro tuner calls for shorter pieces. Hopefully my grammar is up to par...

Admin note: Removed reference to deleted thread.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,431 Posts
Concerning the comet and the 88 there is this quote:

"Marshall Royal played the Conn Comet, which was designed and manufactured by Runyon.

In 1939, and on into the early WWII years, Santy was on the 3 man design team for the Conn 28M Constellation alto sax. Yes, I know that the 28M was not introduced until the early 50's, but they started much earlier and there were delays due to WWII.

The Comet was specifically designed for the 28M. And this is the mouthpiece that Marshall Royal played.

At the time these were made, Runyon was molding their mouthpieces in black and ivory color acrylic plastic. Conn requested that Runyon mold the Comets in a transparent amber color, to match the gold lacquer used on their saxes at that time. On stage, the transparent plastic picked up the stage lights and glowed, looking almost like gold metal.

Some Comets were molded in the ivory and black colors, but most were in the amber.

So, people liked the transparent color, and Runyon added the familiar transparent red to the Runyon line. The famous "Red Runyon" (the Custom) became the mouthpiece most identified with the Runyon line.

A few years back Runyon added transparent blue and transparent amber (like the old Conn Comet) to their line for the Customs and SR's.

The current model most similar to the Comet, as far as chamber, and in tone, is the Runyon SR. The one most similar in outside appearance is the Model 88.
Paul Coats"

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?15102-Alto-Runyon-from-the-1950-60-s

This quote seems to be about the alto version. Not certain the degree to which the remarks also apply to the tenor version.

·
Administrator
13,985 Posts
Administrator note:

User "mvjohnso' has thrown his last trolling temper tantrum on SOTW. He has been shown the door permanently.

Carry on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts