Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone,
I recently picked up what I believe to be two alto pieces from the 90’s-00’s at a yard sale, a Runyon Custom 6 and what I think is a Brillhart from Selmer by Runyon. Confirmation on those I.D’s would be appreciated, as well as they’re value/ sound tendencies/ history. I haven’t been able to try them yet but I got them for pennies on the dollar so if they’re trash it’s no loss.

P.S, this is my first encounter with Runyon, are they still around? Scouring this board I feel a bit like Indiana Jones digging through crypts, and there are some mixed messages to say the least.
Thanks everyone!
Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Material property Bumper Font

Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Bumper

Gas Tints and shades Engineering Metal Laser pointer

Office supplies Household hardware Wood Nickel Metal

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,149 Posts
great scores! the custom is a middle of the road mpc and can cover a wide range of playing styles. very comfortable to play. hard to get a lig to fit. i suggest a rovner in clarinet size. the metal one is a very bright powerfull easy to play mpc. more for rock but can be tammed for lush ballads if you back off and subtone -ala stan getz. a soprano sax lig should provide closest fit. sadly runyon was closed and everything sold off last fall. shame as i really loved their products and used a lot of them . esp the mpcs. both of these mpcs you have were aval with an insert wedge to add edge and volume. i believe you can still get these from jody jazz owner jody espenoza. also steve goodson in new Orleans has them.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,149 Posts
selmer bought the rights to the brillhart name and sold this mpc for 10 or 20 years i think. runyon desighned and made it and many other mpcs for selmer usa

·
Registered
931 Posts
great scores! the custom is a middle of the road mpc and can cover a wide range of playing styles. very comfortable to play. hard to get a lig to fit. i suggest a rovner in clarinet size. the metal one is a very bright powerfull easy to play mpc. more for rock but can be tammed for lush ballads if you back off and subtone -ala stan getz. a soprano sax lig should provide closest fit. sadly runyon was closed and everything sold off last fall. shame as i really loved their products and used a lot of them . esp the mpcs. both of these mpcs you have were aval with an insert wedge to add edge and volume. i believe you can still get these from jody jazz owner jody espenoza. also steve goodson in new Orleans has them.
I was wondering where I could get a spoiler for a tenor Custom that I got a year ago, thanks S20 Dan!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for the insight SuperDan. These actually both came with ligatures, I just forgot to include a pic of them, whoops.. I think the Custom has the OG Runyon lig, but the Brillhart has a soprano lig that doesn't fit very well, so I'll have to be on the lookout for one there. This is exactly the sort of reply I was looking for and very much appreciate it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts