Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been playing sax for a few years now (but not recently as such) and wanted to sort of make more use of it.

Basically I wanna be able to run my sax through some effect pedals or such, via a wireless mic preferably.

The catch kinda is money wise: I'm not exactly well fronted on this front being still a student.

Just wondering what you guys would recommend as being good, bog standard stuff, but not £200 odd.

Thanks.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I was in you exact position a few weeks ago. First of all, this won't be cheap no matter which way you do it if you're on a student budget. I bought a SM58 instrument mic and bought a Line 6 M5 multi effects pedal. The M5 has over 100 effects, but you can only use one at a time. The effects sound great, and I would recommend a multi effects pedal, beacuse you don't want to spend hundreds more on stomp boxes you might not even like. I have a crappy 15w amp that I use for practicing in my room

For live shows I bought a DI box to go straight into the PA. I also bought an adapter that plugs into the mic that allows it to be hooked up to the amp with an instrument cable.
Hope this helped, and good luck

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Nothing that involves wireless microphones is cheap, or even reasonable. It's all absurdly expensive. For $400-ish, I don't think you can do it. Maybe if you had twice that much.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,086 Posts
Not a big fan yet but The Samson airline 77 wireless can be had for $200-$250. There is a 1/4" out that can be sent to a multi-fx device. Find a used alesis q4 or something for under $100. From there to your bands PA. If you've got a bigger budget or the fx are not that big a deal to you, get a personal monitor / mini PA / keyboard or acoustic guitar amp instead.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replys!

Okay, so it seems wireless is a bit outta reach then....

What about if I aqquire a fx pedal (probably a multi by what you guys are going by and from what i've seen) which i guess i don't mind forking out for..

Would a microphone clipped onto the bell, wired through the fx pedal and into a personal amp be any good?

I like the freedom of moving around, even if i don't get a band going and playing gigs, just practicing moving would be good and stuff so.

Is a wired with a long-ish lead of any practicality?

Also what fx pedals (again probably multi) would you guys recommend? Or what type of fx to use?

Don't really know what style I wanna play yet, just sorta, get the stuff and experiment.

Again thanks!

·
Registered
196 Posts
If you're not sure, go with multi-effects. I love Line 6 M5, the only thing it doesn't have is a looper. Some people like analog fx, but digital multi fx is much more cost efficient

·
Registered
594 Posts
Untill you can sink serious money into wireless, stop worrying about dancing around.

Stick an SM-57 or SM-58 on a mic stand and get a vocal effects processor.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So it's more vocal effects that just standard guitar effects?

I saw that the vocal work better with sax i think, but can't remember.

Shure SM57 looks to be the one i'll grab. Cheers timob.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
13,018 Posts
I'd like to help you out. Which way did you come in? Sorry - old joke.

But I really think you have to say more about what kind of efx you're thinking of. What do you hear in your head when you imagine playing through efx -- reverb? chorus? wah? octave divider or harmony? weird electronic sounds? What do you like to listen to?

A multi-efx box might be a good place to start if you really have no idea what you want to do. The vocal processor could also be fun but it ain't cheap. You need to do a little more research about the types of efx units that are out there and what they do.

There are wired clip-on mics that cost less than wireless, but couple that with a multi-efx box and you're quickly up over 200 quid. If you just want to explore sounds, don't focus on the mic clamped to the bell, see if you can find a used SM58 or SM57 and put it on a stand. If you really have to move around, drop it in the bell, connect to your efx, and see what comes out. You can probably rig up some way of clamping the mic so it sits in front on the bell, but please don't put holes in the horn. It's not worth it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks martin!

Well basically I'm just looking to turn my sax into something I could use variedly with bands or just making music more viable. Don't get me wrong, I love the sax, just an fx box seems a way to make stuff happen with it sort of.

I guess something to make it sound a little more electronic and synthy. I don't have much of a clue about types of fx or things, but I guess I'd like something that loops a little, varies the pitch maybe, reverb as well, just basically add effects to make it sound different, but with the option of switching it on for a short time and off again.

Just to basically experiment.

I'm looking at the Boss ME-70 atm. Which I can grab off ebay for under £100.

What i'm looking at atm, is getting a Shure SM57 (leaving all the wireless and run around (was getting ahead of myself i think) crap till later) and plugging it into a fx box and then into an amp.

Still don't know what type of amp to get atm. Heard talk of using an acoustic amp, or will a standard guitar amp do?

·
6,086 Posts
Standard guitar amp will not do. Keyboard or acoustic guitar amp is what you need. A guitar amp simply cant reproduce all the frequencies your sax can put out. Another choice would be a mini PA. As for FX - consider a vocal processor. Some, like the digitech vocalist, have phantom power and / or mic inputs. The vocalist is pretty cool in that it has delays, chorus, reverb, compression, and can play a harmony. The fx are not the greatest but are passable. There are others too. Decent loopers are not cheap.

·
13,018 Posts
Get a powered speaker or a keyboard amp.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Boss VE-20 looks kinda what I'm looking for. But again price. even on ebay it's ranging towards £100+ which is a total bummer.

·
13,018 Posts
I don't recommend Behringer gear because I think it's cheap knock-offs of better gear, but if price is a concern, look for the Behringer Virtualizer Pro.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
S'not that much of a problem really. Just didn't wanna blow all my summer job wages on this.

But the Boss Ve-20 is pretty much what I'm gonna get. Thanks for the help all!

·
Registered
848 Posts
I use the Samson Airline 77 wireless system into a Lexicon MX200 effects processor that works great. Plus the lex is dual processor so I can run 2 effect simultaneously if I want. Both can be had fairly cheaply.

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,569 Posts
If you do get a clip on, most of them are condenser mics. This means they need a 48v phantom power supply (you will be fine with a dynamic mic like an sm58...I really like the Sennheiser e835 mics: same specs and just as durable for 70% of the price). I found out the hard way that if you are running it through effects/ pedals, you need that phantom power BEFORE your line hits the effects.

Mic->receiver->line out->phantom power supply->pedals->to mixer/ amp/ PA.

If you don't have the power supply before the effects, it doesn't matter if there is a phantom power supply on your channel on the mixer...it is useless.

I don't know what effects you are looking for, but I used to use an electroharmonix octave generator (not harmonizer, just sub bass). I could set the level so the generated bass note was on level with my sax sound, or for a cool trick in a loud club I could turn it so all you heard was the bass note (except of course the acoustic sound from the horn)...I took some pretty sick "bass solos" with that group.

·
6,086 Posts
That's one of the pluses of using an fx processor like the digi vocalist. The input is an XLR with phantom power. Just one more gadget you don't have to buy. Plus the harmonies are pretty cool.

·
13,018 Posts
good point about getting an efx unit with phantom power built in.

my old Samson Airline wireless doesn't need phantom power. it uses 1 AAA battery in the clip-on mic and the receiver has a wall wart so the XLR out from the receiver to the mixer/PA/amp doesn't need phantom power. but a new Samson system will put you over budget.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts