Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experience with Rumberger stuff (https://www.rumberger-soundproducts.de/en/ )? Specifically their WP-1x (https://www.rumberger-soundproducts.de/en/products/pickups-for-woodwind-instruments/wp-1x/ ), which they call a "pickup" but I'm guessing is more like a contact mic. I'm thinking of getting one for both my bass clarinet & bari--I use a lot of processing from time to time, and have always been frustrated by the amount of stage bleed when using even a very directional mic. Contact mic solutions I've tried in the past always sounded a little flat to me, but their demos sound pretty good. But don't company demos always sound good?

Would love any stories of personal experience with these devices. Thanks!

-Jon

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,949 Posts
If you go with the WP-1x, be careful to note how deep the sax neck extends into the bore of the mouthpiece. The image shown looks more like a bass clarinet mouthpiece.

If the saxophone neck cork obstructs the aperture of the pickup, you are out of luck.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I don't have any first hand experience playing a mouthpiece with the Rumberger yet, but I have seen them in person. I hope to try one out at some point soon. I really like the low profile, and it looks to be pretty quality construction.

I did make a one-off custom piece for a friend to use a Piezobarrel pickup. The size is a bit ungainly, but it doesn't require phantom power, and the the end user really digs the functionality of it for his efx unit.

View attachment 236918

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,949 Posts
I did make a one-off custom piece for a friend to use a Piezobarrel pickup...
Nice. This is certainly an instance where your ligature - or similarly, the Lawton with its track-mount ligature - is especially well-suited to the task.

I'm not sure my nose would clear the pickup tho'... :shock:

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Do those drill into the side of your mouthpiece or neck? I can't see myself investing in anything that requires permanent modification like that.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yes, no one wants to damage their horn or mouthpiece in such a dramatic way. Something different will be the day they get how to attach the mic not altering your gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Distinguished SOTW member, musician, technician &
4,983 Posts
I don't use a Rumberger, but I use a pickup (contact mic) with effects and I know a couple of local players who do use a Rumberger with and without effects. I'd say the Rumberger is as good as any of the ones available now. I attached these for a few local players, usually to the clarinet barrels.

I attached mine to the neck rather than the mouthpiece. I got a second neck for that but honestly "damaging" your mouthpiece of neck is not that big of a deal to me. I'd get a spare mouthpiece if I wanted to attach it to the mouthpiece. Main reason I got a spare neck is I didn't like the small cable there and to unnecessary have the pickup all the time when I don't need it.
If it's an old Mark VI or something valuable like that, I would probably either attach it to the mouthpiece or more likely try to find a neck that works on it.
I use it mainly on a current model Buffet bass clarinet so getting a neck wasn't that much of a problem.

With any pickup like that you'd get more noise from keys, etc. so the larger and noisier the instrument, the more noise you'd have. To me this is often an advantage and I use it especially on the bass clarinet that would be impossible without the amplified noise.

View attachment 237880

·
Registered
8,034 Posts
I wonder if it fits into the old school pick up attachment I have on a Link Slant Sig.
I’ve thought about having the little pip removed but maybe I should try one of these first.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts