Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone passed these on to me. Since I'm not really a jazz player I thought I'd pass them on here :)

1. Everyone should play the same piece.

2. Observe repeat signs only if what you just played was interesting.

3. A wrong note, played timidly, is a wrong note.

4. A wrong note, played forcefully, is simply your interpretation of the phrase.

5. Strive to play the maximum number of notes per second. This will intimidate weaker players, and gains you the admiration of the ignorant.

6. Markings for dynamics and accidentals should be ignored. They are only put there to make the score look more complicated.

7. If a passage is difficult, slow down. If it is easy, speed up. It all evens out in the end.

8. "Double Time Feel" means changes are twice as fast....for half the band.

9. You have achieved true interpretation of the song if, at the end, you have not played one single note of the original piece.

10. When everyone else stops playing, you should also stop. Do not play any notes that you may have left over.

·
Registered
127 Posts
HA HA! I especially love #10!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,364 Posts
I always thought 5 pretty much defines a lot of jazz playing!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,210 Posts
Haha. This list could be continued ad nauseam. Very cliché, but nice.

11. You are always on the search, never at some point of rest. Playing erratically is the way to show it! Saying that you are "just on the search"
is very cool, no matter how advanced your playing is.

12. Search for years, noodle your *** off on bop tunes or play lush ballads, preferrably standards (unrehearsed, highly skilled) and then wonder why you aren't getting a publishing contract or great gigs or attractive and sophisticated admirers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts