Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't care for the lig that came with my B&S tenor metal piece, so I put on a B&G
lig. Since the B&S piece is very narrow, I had to tighten it a lot. After about an hour, I decided to change pieces and went to put the B&G lig on the HR B&S. It's all twisted out of shape and I can't get it to straighten out. It's in pretty bad shape. I can't get it on the piece. Anybody ever have this happen? Any suggestions? If I have to order another one from WWBW, it might take a while before it arrives. (Sorry about the gap in typed lines here!)
Candy

·
4,596 Posts
Ligerature? I think I had a class on that in high school. 20th century American Ligerature.

Well, try bending it back into shape! Try NOT to use the mouthpiece as a blank to do this on! See if you can find some sort of thick object that will help to stretch the metal out. Barring that, time to order another one. Get a Rovner, they don't bend :)

·
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Razzy,
Thanks! The problem is that it is not metal. It's some sort of black leather looking lig. If it were metal, I could have bent it back into shape. I have very strong hands.

·
13,028 Posts
Could you post a link to the B&G lig you are talking about?

·
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Carl!
I wouldn't know how to post a link. I'll go to the WWBW site and see if they have them listed. If they do, I'll post it tomorrow.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,183 Posts
Hi Candy,
If you need to borrow a lig, give me a call on my cell. The 216, not the 440 number.

·
13,028 Posts
This one?

Is it the metal plate under the rubber ribs which has been twisted? Other than the screw assembly I can't see anything else which would deform and not snap back to shape.

·
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Saints,
Joe just called and I told him what happened. He'll have a look at it when he gets home. I'll call you if it's hopeless. A hearty thanks for your offer!
Candy

·
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Carl,
The ribbed section seems OK. It's the screw assembly that has been affected. The side with the large screw is now completely overlapping the other side. I hesitate to force it back in alignment because I have very strong hands and have broken things without intending to. My husband is used to bailing me out on things I have messed up in the past. He'll be home in a couple of hours, so we'll see what he can do. Thanks very much for posting the picture. Now he can see what it should really look like.
Candy

·
13,028 Posts
Take the knob you turn to tighten it up and unscrew it completely. The threaded part sticking out can then be pushed out of the other side of the lig. Then take the 2 rods inside the end loops and push them out. What remains is similar to a giant bandaid, except with a rubber coated metal pad. This should correct any problems you might have, and will not harm anything. If something is still not right, try and describe it and we'll see what we can do.

Carl

·
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Carl and Saints! Joe was able to fix it. Took him less than two minutes. Whew! Now I can sleep tonight!(Smile).
Candy

·
13,028 Posts
I couldn't imagine damaging one of these ligs without a hammer or car or other serious external force.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,183 Posts
Candy is a serious external force.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts