Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got one of these, and it will need some work.
I've never heard of one before.....saxpics has a page from the Holton catalog for the Wiedoeft model, and they only list sop/alto/cmel/tnr

I'm wondering if it would have decent value because of its rarity.....I know the RWs of other sizes aren't all that much.
I'm trying to decide whether to just get a basic playing condition done and keep it, or invest in a first-rate job to appeal to a collector (so I need to know if there are any who'd care), or just sell it as-is and let the buyer have the work done by someone of his/her own choosing.
But if it's just worth what a Bundy would be in similar condition, I'd like to know that.
I had a plain Holton bari simultaneously with a relac'd The Martin many years ago, and frankly the Holton sounded far better. I don't know where the "tinny sound" rap came from, at least on that horn. Maybe that's only for their cheaper models?
The long-ago one was never put into great condition, so I'd guess this Wiedoeft might sound even better just for that reason, once it's tended to.

Anyone have any info re the putative market for something like this???
Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
unfortunately no pics at this time.....my camera died.
it was raw brass when new, and so isn't a shiny beauty. It only took a few seconds to polish the engraved area to look new, tho. Some sort of product made with tropical fruits so it's totally non-toxic and non-abrasive.
I can't see doing that to the whole thing, you'd need to be a bit OC to want to.
thanks, tho for your post, xax.
Obviously Holtons aren't the biggest items of interest here. Justifiably with their altos and tenors from my limited experience, but I'm hoping this bari will be as potentially great as the last one.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes, it's engraved "Rudy Wiedoeft Model" within a scroll.
it's got all the extra keys.
Since saxpics hadn't heard of one as a bari, I just hoped that rarity would appeal to someone who's into uniqueness.
I think I'm going to just get it in basic playing condition to see if it is basically as good as the last non-Rudy one if I wind up not finding a taker.
If this has that same dark resonance, it would be worth really doing the full number on it.
I think the less-than-terrific playability of the altos and tenors might reflect poorly on the baritone, even tho almost no one has ever even seen let alone tried one.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts