Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
5,034 Posts
Good Morning Gentleman,
I am new as of today. I am in no way an expert and I just wanted to pass on some information I found when shopping for a student bari sax.

I had been researching what someone what representing as a conn saxophone without conn stenciling or logos. They gave me the serial number and photos of a different unreadable stencil. My reserach has lead me to believe the serial numbers should still match the factory production. Mine was in Indiana and made by Conn but others could have been made in different factories and then stenciled later. The music manufacturers absorbed other companies and shifted production to different places through out the years resulting in different parts or quality of production. Long and short my research told me that the one I was looking at was a holton rudy weidoeft which was made by Conn in the 20's. Here is a couple of links to poke you in the right direction for your research. https://www.saxgourmet.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/connfamily.jpg and C.G. CONN Saxophone Models | Saxophone.org

I hope this helps you find more info on what you are looking for when you posted this in 2003 17 YEARS AGO!. That was just a funny comment for you Al Yankee :)
Welcome to SOTW
Conn never made anything for Holton.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
5,034 Posts
From your PM it could be a Holton. Post 1964 made by either Leblanc or Conn Selmer.
completely different instrument. Possibly student grade.
If it is a Conn The model may be stamped above the serial number or on the bell. Possibly a letter prefix serial number

1 - 3 of 3 Posts