Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got one of these, and it will need some work.
I've never heard of one before.....saxpics has a page from the Holton catalog for the Wiedoeft model, and they only list sop/alto/cmel/tnr

I'm wondering if it would have decent value because of its rarity.....I know the RWs of other sizes aren't all that much.
I'm trying to decide whether to just get a basic playing condition done and keep it, or invest in a first-rate job to appeal to a collector (so I need to know if there are any who'd care), or just sell it as-is and let the buyer have the work done by someone of his/her own choosing.
But if it's just worth what a Bundy would be in similar condition, I'd like to know that.
I had a plain Holton bari simultaneously with a relac'd The Martin many years ago, and frankly the Holton sounded far better. I don't know where the "tinny sound" rap came from, at least on that horn. Maybe that's only for their cheaper models?
The long-ago one was never put into great condition, so I'd guess this Wiedoeft might sound even better just for that reason, once it's tended to.

Anyone have any info re the putative market for something like this???
Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
unfortunately no pics at this time.....my camera died.
it was raw brass when new, and so isn't a shiny beauty. It only took a few seconds to polish the engraved area to look new, tho. Some sort of product made with tropical fruits so it's totally non-toxic and non-abrasive.
I can't see doing that to the whole thing, you'd need to be a bit OC to want to.
thanks, tho for your post, xax.
Obviously Holtons aren't the biggest items of interest here. Justifiably with their altos and tenors from my limited experience, but I'm hoping this bari will be as potentially great as the last one.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Saxus Envious Curmudgeon
3,862 Posts
mpc,
what sort of trill keys/ gizmos are on yours?
Is it engraved "Rudy Weidoeft" on the bell?

Holton did make some horns that had part of the "Rudy" keywork, but were not, in fact, Rudy Weidoeft models.

I would suppose you might get 2k out of it from a collector who wanted a full set...but I could be way off (either way + or -) on that.

I would hand polish it and get a good basic repad on it and try my luck on eBay. The less you have in it the better, unless you want to keep it for yourself.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes, it's engraved "Rudy Wiedoeft Model" within a scroll.
it's got all the extra keys.
Since saxpics hadn't heard of one as a bari, I just hoped that rarity would appeal to someone who's into uniqueness.
I think I'm going to just get it in basic playing condition to see if it is basically as good as the last non-Rudy one if I wind up not finding a taker.
If this has that same dark resonance, it would be worth really doing the full number on it.
I think the less-than-terrific playability of the altos and tenors might reflect poorly on the baritone, even tho almost no one has ever even seen let alone tried one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I know this post is old, but I'm wondering about your experience with the RW baritone. I've been searching the web for references to that model, as I just picked one up. Your posts are the only references I've been able to find, so rare is the word. While everything on mine is in good shape, it's not in playing condition. Did you ever put yours into playing condition, and if so, how did it go? What mouthpiece did you use for it? Anything you can relate would be appreciated.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Good Morning Gentleman,
I am new as of today. I am in no way an expert and I just wanted to pass on some information I found when shopping for a student bari sax.

I had been researching what someone what representing as a conn saxophone without conn stenciling or logos. They gave me the serial number and photos of a different unreadable stencil. My reserach has lead me to believe the serial numbers should still match the factory production. Mine was in Indiana and made by Conn but others could have been made in different factories and then stenciled later. The music manufacturers absorbed other companies and shifted production to different places through out the years resulting in different parts or quality of production. Long and short my research told me that the one I was looking at was a holton rudy weidoeft which was made by Conn in the 20's. Here is a couple of links to poke you in the right direction for your research. https://www.saxgourmet.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/connfamily.jpg and C.G. CONN Saxophone Models | Saxophone.org

I hope this helps you find more info on what you are looking for when you posted this in 2003 17 YEARS AGO!. That was just a funny comment for you Al Yankee :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,768 Posts
Good Morning Gentleman,
I am new as of today. I am in no way an expert and I just wanted to pass on some information I found when shopping for a student bari sax.

I had been researching what someone what representing as a conn saxophone without conn stenciling or logos. They gave me the serial number and photos of a different unreadable stencil. My reserach has lead me to believe the serial numbers should still match the factory production. Mine was in Indiana and made by Conn but others could have been made in different factories and then stenciled later. The music manufacturers absorbed other companies and shifted production to different places through out the years resulting in different parts or quality of production. Long and short my research told me that the one I was looking at was a holton rudy weidoeft which was made by Conn in the 20's. Here is a couple of links to poke you in the right direction for your research. https://www.saxgourmet.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/connfamily.jpg and C.G. CONN Saxophone Models | Saxophone.org

I hope this helps you find more info on what you are looking for when you posted this in 2003 17 YEARS AGO!. That was just a funny comment for you Al Yankee :)
Welcome to SOTW
Conn never made anything for Holton.

·
1,456 Posts
I hope this helps you find more info on what you are looking for
Welcome to the site! Unfortunately the information you have is incomplete and the conclusion incorrect. As mentioned above, Holton did not have a business or manufactory relationship with Conn. The RW model was not a stencil but a factory release, ironically without the consent or endorsement of RW! The baritone as described sounds correct even if it wasn't in the catalog. Custom horns and one-offs happened with some regularity across all manufacturers.

There's a ton of great info here about stencils so I'd read up on those as well to continue with your research. There are many knowledgeable folks here who can answer virtually any question you can think up.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Welcome to SOTW
Conn never made anything for Holton.
Perhaps I didnt read things correct or the source was incorrect. This came from the following link. Saxophone Serial Number Chart | Saxophone.org

Can you tell me more about a CONN SN 357XX for a 12M Baritone Sax? I am about to pick one up and I cant make out any stencil on this brass laquer finish model that I am assuming is a Wonder 1. I would welcome your opinions on the quality and a ballpark value of this horn. Respectfully thank you Sax Gurus

·
4,768 Posts
From your PM it could be a Holton. Post 1964 made by either Leblanc or Conn Selmer.
completely different instrument. Possibly student grade.
If it is a Conn The model may be stamped above the serial number or on the bell. Possibly a letter prefix serial number

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
Well, I can't help with the particular instrument of concern in the recent posts, but I am pretty sure there were Conn made Holton basses at least. I have also seen pictures of a Holton baritone that looks darn near identical to a Conn to my eyes except for the design of the key guards, and those would easily have been ordered with a different design.

Both Conn and Buescher made a lot of instruments for other people - order enough of them and we'll engrave whatever name you want and order even more and you can specify some special keywork features - so my assumption is that especially for baritone and bass, if it looks just like a Conn, it probably is.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
2,148 Posts
I am pretty sure there were Conn made Holton basses at least.
Yep! I own a Holton bass and it is 100% Conn. I'd wager basses were the most stenciled pitch due to limited demand and the tooling expense that went into producing in-house. It would be nice if we could eventually get some pictures of an RW bari, it would take a lot of the guesswork out of this discussion.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts