Sax on the Web Forum banner
61 - 66 of 66 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
Picked up a sax in 2002 and here I am.
2,183 Posts
Hey Glenn, I think you have two paths, to keep or flip as an original visually restored horn, or to repad and keep or flip as a restored horn. I probably wouldn’t repad the horn though unless I intended to keep and play it, as it would probably be tough to recoup the investment unless you got the horn at a really great price. Nice job saving this beauty!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Hey Glenn, I think you have two paths, to keep or flip as an original visually restored horn, or to repad and keep or flip as a restored horn. I probably wouldn't repad the horn though unless I intended to keep and play it, as it would probably be tough to recoup the investment unless you got the horn at a really great price. Nice job saving this beauty!
Thanks for the compliment Jerry. I went through a lot to acquire this horn with the intent on keeping it. I care not to buy things that I don't like just to flip. Been there done that on watches. It's kind of like polishing a ****, no fun. I made a fair purchase considering the condition and all the pieces were complete. It came from the grandson of the original owner. One family item. I'm not concerned about the value. The value is in the enjoyment. Well unless some collector offered me $15,000 I may change my mind LOL. I'm in no particular hurry to repair this just yet. My '28 Martin handcraft alto gold plate is in for overhaul. That's going to be a real player. Also I still have the '20 Chicago Holton alto, '23 Royal Artist and the '21 Lyon & Healy(real Buescher/Pre EBIC) altos. The Healy is on my bench today. All engaged in a long and happy life. Far from pristine like this Rudy. But still....oh some nice black Roo pads.
John needs to get his off-the-shelf hint hint?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Any mouthpiece should be OK. I use my S-80 on every alto I own, no problem.
That's fantastic. I was hoping Rudy's were not mouthpiece fussy. I have a nice vintage MP & useable lig.
Time to cleanup this #5 Otto Link Tone Edge.
Thanks again for your help Bruce!

Attachments

61 - 66 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.