Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not often you find a 89 year old unused untouched saxophone. I’m starting a fresh thread for a pictorial archive including original cork work. Many old threads on SOTW have links to pictures that no longer exist. This is the same alto pictured here post #872.
https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?70892-Holton-Saxophone-Serial-number-registry/page44
This is not a difficult procedure. However to the inexperienced novice I highly recommend taking a lot of pictures in detail prior to starting such a task. It’s also a good idea to study many of the technical threads here on SOTW before you start such an adventure so you don’t get yourself in trouble. Losing bits of cork as just one example.
Enjoy 🐷

·
3,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Disassembled, only a few hinge rods needed heat to loosen. Orginal pads with 1 stitch in middle. No rivets. SN# is early 1930. Possibly 5 months after start of Great Depression. Foil label inside case. Looking into bell shows debris from case fabric and very limited use.

·
3,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Rudy Wiedoeft alto 1939 cleaning pictures

Difficult to show only that only low D/C pads have any signs of use.

·
3,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Body cleaned. I use my own mix. Sorry it’s one I don’t share. However I will say I degreased it first with Dawn dish soap in warm NOT hot water. Keep you dog close....stress relief for WHEN you get stuck...the thirtieth time.:whistle:

·
3,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Photo catalog of the cork positions. Boring but important to do prior to cleaning.

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
Very nice work---especially the inside. I know how hard it is to clean the body tube, especially with the bell still attached. Are the keys gold plated? It is hard to tell from the photographs. I have one on my shelf waiting for a complete restoration that has gold plated keys and a silver body. Your thread has reminded me I need to get to it someday.

·
3,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Neckend plug & cap were cleaned with soap and warm water only.

·
3,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Once cleaned all the springs will be brushed with a light coating of gun oil.

·
3,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All the pictures are sequential from post to post.

·
3,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Picture three has partial missing cork circled in red.

·
3,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
:whistle: listening to oldies.....From the ‘70’s😑

·
3,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Are we there yet?

·
3,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bud Shank played sax for Boz Scaggs.
The same Bud that played the flute on the Mama & Papas song “California Dreaming“.

·
3,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Like the thread title says cleaning. Not polishing. You won’t find white Polish residue in all the crevices.,

·
3,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Very nice work---especially the inside. I know how hard it is to clean the body tube, especially with the bell still attached. Are the keys gold plated? It is hard to tell from the photographs. I have one on my shelf waiting for a complete restoration that has gold plated keys and a silver body. Your thread has reminded me I need to get to it someday.
Thanks for the compliment. The keys are all silver. Not sure if they were offered in silver/gold combination never have seen one.
I can’t get any of these to open beyond general low res view. https://www.saxophone.org/museum/publications/museumType/1/manufacturer/54
Look maybe between 1927-1931 price lists if you can get images to fully open. The finish option information should be included.
...Someday...that’s one day after you take a break around the next long holiday.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
1,994 Posts
Looking sweet my friend! Curious to hear how she plays when you’re done.

·
3,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Looking sweet my friend! Curious to hear how she plays when you’re done.
Thanks Jerry,
This is going to be an interesting one. All of the original Holton “Pnuma” pads are still intact. New tech for 1928 from this advertisement. https://www.saxophone.org/museum/publications/id/376
“Holton pnuma pads are the longest wearing and most perfect seating ever discovered for saxophone. Maintaining a level seat at all times, never swelling and affecting tone or tune. Patent applied for.” I’m trying to maintain as original as possible for a good solid test play. Although I must say these pads are more like pillows. Just envision a leather wrapped marshmallow mounted on a cracker as best tech of the day. Then store it for 90 years.
My crazy neighbor just installed a sound booth. Hopefully I will get a real decent archival recording of the original sound mouthpiece and all.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,030 Posts
With the keys of I polish them for sure. I doubt they are silver, probably plated. Darken a rag with the paste polish and go at it. I would also rub some "rub 'n buff" around the spats, etc. to cover any black.

·
3,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
With the keys of I polish them for sure. I doubt they are silver, probably plated. Darken a rag with the paste polish and go at it. I would also rub some "rub 'n buff" around the spats, etc. to cover any black.
Funny you mention that they may be plated. I’ve been suspicious of that all along. Although I have never seen chrome plate have black oxidation on it quite like this. Seeing as how this was made about five months into the Great Depression I guess anything could be possible. Including the reason there is no “R” under the serial number. Bruce, Saxoclese asked the question if these ever came with gold plated keys. He has one. Is it possible that was a original option?

1 - 20 of 66 Posts