Sax on the Web Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Alto, C-mel, Saxie
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Aww, thanks! I've done a little more side research, but the only thing concrete I've come up with so far is that the tour definitely started in Madison, Wisconsin (which makes sense, considering Holton was based in Elkhorn). It wasn't as elaborate as the Ambassador setup, just recitals, demonstrations, and a general saxophone Q&A session, but still pretty cool. 1928 was a very busy year for him overall; he appeared in several stage shows and one appearance seemed to lead right into another. I think it went Madison - St. Louis - Chicago - Indianapolis - elsewhere; these engagements were only a few nights at most, but they were scheduled close together, which means he must have been traveling constantly. I'm not sure if all of these stops were Holton-related, since he appeared in a handful of stage shows that didn't appear to be sponsored by anyone in particular; he might not have used the Holton for those. He was definitely promoting Holton in California at the end of 1928, though.

I'm probably going to do some more research on this after I solve my current bout of vintage horn woes (a Couesnon Saxie that no longer has its original mouthpiece and hates every potential replacement I've introduced it to). The school I attend has a subscription to an online newspaper archive; the preliminary poking around I've done has been promising, so I'm expecting to find a literal goldmine of info once I start searching in earnest. These 1920s newspapers are a blast to read; I stumbled on a column in the Post-Dispatch where the writer had the nerve to call the saxophone "a calabash pipe with a head cold"!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,768 Posts
I wonder if his brothers untimely death in May 1928 brought him to the West Coast. The entire family were musicians. Rudy originally played clarinet, started sax somewhere around 1907. Rudy was familiar with California. He played in Porters Catalina island band on Clarinet. Catalina is a small island 22 miles off the coast from Los Angeles.
https://wikivisually.com/wiki/Herb_Wiedoeft

·
Registered
Alto, C-mel, Saxie
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I won't know for certain until I'm able to do some more digging, but that might have been part of it. He was in California as early as June, possibly earlier, and apparently spent most (if not all) of the rest of the year on the West Coast; he gave a New Year's Eve show in Oregon that sounds like it would have been amazing. I've found a little more info on the other stage shows he was involved in; they were part of a tour, but not sponsored by Holton, so no official word on whether he used the Rudy model in them. I'd hazard a guess and say probably not exclusively, but considering he was doing these shows concurrently with Holton promotions I'd be surprised if it wasn't used at all; the ad promoting the New Year's Eve show included a photograph of him holding a Rudy alto that didn't appear to be the usual Holton stock image, so it might have seen some use there.

I'm going to try to put together a timeline of Rudy's travels in 1928. His schedule was so insane that it's making my head spin trying to remember it all.

I also stumbled across a vaguely humorous blurb in a Brooklyn newspaper that was extremely disapproving of Rudy's 1927 performance on KMOX (which is odd since that's a St. Louis station). The columnist was upset because, while it was bad enough that so many people wanted to play the saxophone already, Rudy Wiedoeft was making the epidemic even worse by showing that it was in fact possible to make beautiful music with it; now everyone would want to play the saxophone! (It makes me wonder where the columnist had been the past seven years.)

·
4,768 Posts
Rudy's tours were insane even by today's standards.
Travel by train? 200 miles overnight in a Tin Lizzy on dirt roads. Just crazy.
Journalists have changed just a bit over the years. Most leave the farm now.

Like most musicians Rudy played with multiple bands. Rudy Wiedoeft of the "Frisco Jass Band". On a Rudy??
This has one good video clip of Rudy playing a C-Mel.
http://www.20sjazz.com/index.php?call=search&key=Rudy+Wiedoeft+

This is duplication of link I posted on your C-Mel thread. http://collections.nmmusd.org/Archives/Holton/HoltonArchivePhotos.html
Just so others may see it.

I have been searching internet available archives on family members. Maybe something will show from this approach??

Here is a recording of Herb Wiedoeft's band 1924. No band members listed. https://archive.org/details/1924usaarchives19240508herbweidoeftscinderellarooforchohpeter_201907

Here is a circa 1925 link with band members listed. Complete with other two brothers names.
Gerhardt 'Gay' Wiedoeft tuba, and Adolph Wiedoeft drums & xylophone. Herb playing trumpet.
The sister was a piano player, not listed.
http://www.20sjazz.com/videos/herb-wiedoeft/everything-is-hotsy-totsy-now.html
Click on link @ bottom for more on Herb.

·
400 Posts
Thank you for refreshing my ear. Yes-Rudy played alto on the George Olsen recording of "Sax-O-Phun". All my other recordings of his are on C-Melody. I had a few nice talks with Eubie Blake at the Toronto Ragtime Festival in the 1970s and he remembered Rudy walking around Broadway in a bathrobe and a cowboy hat, playing his saxophone. For all his personal sadness, he had a great sense of humor. Witness the early talkie short on You Tube where he plays with Bennie Krueger on alto. It is excellent. I play jazz in newer styles, but my favorite is the toe-tapping fun of the 1920s when my father played. Modern jazz (post-bop) is too serious for me, although I play it a few times a year. It is no longer commercially viable, as most people find it hard to understand and not very entertaining. More useless trivia from jazzbug1.

·
4,768 Posts
Thank you for refreshing my ear. Yes-Rudy played alto on the George Olsen recording of "Sax-O-Phun". All my other recordings of his are on C-Melody. I had a few nice talks with Eubie Blake at the Toronto Ragtime Festival in the 1970s and he remembered Rudy walking around Broadway in a bathrobe and a cowboy hat, playing his saxophone. For all his personal sadness, he had a great sense of humor. Witness the early talkie short on You Tube where he plays with Bennie Krueger on alto. It is excellent. I play jazz in newer styles, but my favorite is the toe-tapping fun of the 1920s when my father played. Modern jazz (post-bop) is too serious for me, although I play it a few times a year. It is no longer commercially viable, as most people find it hard to understand and not very entertaining. More useless trivia from jazzbug1.
It's not useless trivia. Every story has breadcrumbs of clues. Any journals or archives available From Mr. Blakes family? Yes from different snippets here and there it appears Rudy did have quite a sense of humor. Darn Toot'n Was good humorous short as well. I don't recall seeing any live footage of "Sax-O-Phun". Did Rudy play a Rudy on that one? any knowledge of a picture?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
alto: 82Zii/Medusa/Supreme, tenor: Medusa, bari: b-901, sop, sc-990
7,556 Posts
…I don't recall seeing any live footage of "Sax-O-Phun". Did Rudy play a Rudy on that one? any knowledge of a picture?
I think jazzbug was referring to this one:

·
4,768 Posts
Extensive reading this last couple months didn't produce much.

Music Trade Review - Music Industry Magazine
Online Library: 1880 - 1933, 1940-1954
https://mtr.arcade-museum.com/ Keywords; Frank Holton, Holton,
https://www.arcade-museum.com/libra...&results=10&type=and&domain=&category=&catid= Rudy Wiedoeft

Some interesting findings in the library search.

Rudy was playing a custom made coin silver Selmer Alto 3/1927.

The first Holton-Rudy Wiedoeft announcement is January 7,1928.

First advertisement seen is dated January 14,1928

*****Rudy played 3 times daily for 6 days at Milwaukee music store. Beginning on February 20,1928 Holton promotion event !!! Still no picture :( if anything it's a demonstration. Not actually playing on stage as a entertainer. I think that's what we're looking for.

Picture with promotional Ad 8/1928, looks like C melody. Discontinued product ? Staged picture.

San Francisco, November 30th to December 7,1928. Holton promotional event "not allowed to play due to his theatrical contracts ".
Rudy Preformed at Lowe's Warfield theatre on Dec. 7th 1928. The Warfield still stands. https://www.thewarfieldtheatre.com/about
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warfield_Theatre. I have sent the Warfield an inquiry.

The last found Holton advertisement with Rudy included was February 2, 1929

Holton announced new products as successor of Rudy Wiedoeft line February 1931

Attachments

·
4,768 Posts
So does playing 3 times a day for a week on Holton products count ? This news clipping doesn’t actually say he played a Rudy :(

Attachments

21 - 30 of 30 Posts