Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I have a Rudy Wiedoeft alto I just purchased this weekend for a very good price I think, and expect it to arrive by next weekend.
The seller stated it plays, but is tough to play on the low end, and would greatly benefit from some new pads at the very least. It seems to have tan leather pads, with no resos that I can see. I have no idea if this is original, or an older repad, and was wondering what is recommended to replace those pads.

A little about me, I'm a clarinet player, and have wanted to play sax for years now. I currently have two saxes I got on the cheap that need work to be playable, a 1916 Conn C melody, and a late 1950's Martin Busine Tenor.

I've been eyeballing the Holton's for quite some time, a friend of mine said he felt I'd like a Holton, that they were excellent horns and greatly underappreciated. He saw me as a good candidate for the Cult of Holton for some reason. So, of course, I had to persue the real odd duck of the bunch and get a Rudy with the extra keywork, lol.

I didn't know about the neck sleeve adapter when I purchased it, but it does seem to have one attached to the neck in the picture, and does have the original metal faced mouthpiece, there was a close up of that. I believe there is a serial number thread, and I will look at that and submit the information.
Musical instrument Musician Guitar accessory Musical instrument accessory Saxophone

Anyhow, I'm happy to be joining the Holton Horde, and I'll take a solemn oath not to tell other people about them and drive up the prices of Holton's for the rest of us.
Lisa

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,285 Posts
It appears that all the neck parts are there. That mouthpiece however will be really stuffy so a new one will be needed. As to pads, I use MusicMedic flat metal resonator pads and they work well on that vintage. Serial numbers for these are iffy but as I recall, they all came from the 1927-31 era. I would see if you can get by with just a few pads and an adjustment.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Champion of the Holt
1,477 Posts
I got my Rudy Alto (Gold!) from Bruce, and it's very nice. Would follow his advice above. Also, welcome to Holton!!!
Brent

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the welcome and advice! I'm very happy and looking forward to getting the sax, it's projected to be delivered on Friday. I've got a couple alto mouthpieces, nothing special, a no name probably also from the twenties, and a Tilco Super X, a cheapo. There's a pawnshop up the road with a ton of mouthpieces, i'm going to go check it out and see what he wants for some of them. At least i've got a couple to try, other than the original. He has an Aura by macsax or maxsax(?) Supposedly pretty good from the reviews i've seen, maybe worth picking up if he isn't asking too much, and see what else he has. I sure hope it plays, the seller said it did, but you had to squeeze pretty hard on the low notes, gorilla grip it! I can live with that.

Bruce, did you mean the "tan" pads with flat resos? They have many pads, tan, softfeel, softfeel thick, roo? I could spring for a couple roo pads with flat resos, since hopefully, I'm only going to be buying a few. I just want to get what's going to work the best with this sax, i'll get roos, extreme Tasmanian devil, extreme super Mongolian sandworm, whatever is recommended. ;)
Thanks again, Lisa

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,285 Posts
I use the normal brown ones as they are easiest to match later on. Get a digital caliper to properly measure the inside of the pad cup when ordering.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts