Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Researcher
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a Legere Signature a year or so back and tried it on my Guardala and didn't like it, and put it in the junk drawer. I've since started playing a 10M Fan Robusto (HR) part time, and needed to play something quickly and didn't want to mess with wetting a reed, etc. so I grabbed the Legere, and it wasn't bad! I wouldn't use it on a gig but I like it for practice just fine. I'm wondering if the difference between mouthpiece materials might be a factor here. Has anyone else experienced this?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
7,355 Posts
I'd be willing to bet the overall design of the mouthpiece would have more to do with it than the material.

Conversely I really liked a legere on my Modern NY Otto Link a lot. But on my Jody Jazz DV it was not the best choice by far. I used cane for that one.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
I don't think the material matters, either. What does matter is the particular mouthpiece being used, as well as the player's embouchure. I am not a Legere fan (prefer Fibracells) but regardless, synthetics work for me on some mouthpieces but not on others. DAVE

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010
3,310 Posts
I would bet its more to do with matching a particular reeds strength / stiffness/ flexibility characteristics, with a particular facing curve. The material that curve is machined into doesn't matter.

Whether you like the sound/ play-ability once you have the right strength comes down to personal preference, much as it does with cane reeds.

I find the main advantages of a synthetic once you find one you like are durability, and (hopefully) consistency from reed to reed once they do wear out. Not having to worry about wetting them is a bonus too sometimes. I'm still trying to find one I really prefer for tone over a good cane reed.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
7,355 Posts
I would bet its more to do with matching a particular reeds strength / stiffness/ flexibility characteristics, with a particular facing curve. The material that curve is machined into doesn't matter.

Whether you like the sound/ play-ability once you have the right strength comes down to personal preference, much as it does with cane reeds.

I find the main advantages of a synthetic once you find one you like are durability, and (hopefully) consistency from reed to reed once they do wear out. Not having to worry about wetting them is a bonus too sometimes. I'm still trying to find one I really prefer for tone over a good cane reed.
Oddly enough every synthetic I've ever played has squeeked unless you stick it in your mouth or some water first.

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
I bought a Legere Signature a year or so back and tried it on my Guardala and didn't like it, and put it in the junk drawer. I've since started playing a 10M Fan Robusto (HR) part time, and needed to play something quickly and didn't want to mess with wetting a reed, etc. so I grabbed the Legere, and it wasn't bad! I wouldn't use it on a gig but I like it for practice just fine. I'm wondering if the difference between mouthpiece materials might be a factor here.
Those are two very different mouthpieces. As the comments above suggest, you'd have to rule out all their differences in design and geometry as reasons for working or not working well with Legeres (or any reed), before setting on metal vs. rubber as the only explanation.

·
Registered
102 Posts
i find the legere sound more dark ,less brilliant,bright so it seems to me to have better response and sound with brilliant bright mpc like my lawton bb .respect my rubber link..... so completely different respect you ! may be i use too hard legere signature ..but i tried them all.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,005 Posts
Some people say that Legere are particularly sensitive to being properly aligned to the tip rail. But their colour makes it quite hard to see against some mouthpieces.

I have played Legere on various mouthpieces but find they are not as good as the best cane reeds. Now I have found a cane reed brand that I really like (Rigotti) the Legere are unplayed.

Rhys

·
Registered
8,026 Posts
Some people say that Legere are particularly sensitive to being properly aligned to the tip rail. But their colour makes it quite hard to see against some mouthpieces.

I have played Legere on various mouthpieces but find they are not as good as the best cane reeds. Now I have found a cane reed brand that I really like (Rigotti) the Legere are unplayed.

Rhys
I’m with you as far as Rigotti. Consistent and almost every reed in a box plays.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Legere Signature suits me on everything. though i've narrowed my pieces to the minimum: Buescher on Sop, Meyer on Alto, STM on Tenor

1 - 10 of 10 Posts