Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I have a Jody Jazz metal DV 7* which I like a lot, but I need a hard rubber piece for playing a little less funky/rocky. I'm going to be playing in a "concert band" (mostly fun up-beat stuff).

I'd like something that isn't "classical" sounding, but not too brash. Just middle-of-the-road jazzy. Hopefully I could play some Ben Webster / Stan Getz type stuff with it...

Any ideas welcome, but let's keep it under $400. I'm leaning towards the Jody Jazz or Yani, but only for name recognition.

I've done searches, but would like direct feedback for what I'm looking for.

thanks!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,831 Posts
Lets see:

H Couf Artist
WS Sumner
Drake JTB
Drake Son of Slant
Any Phil Tone piece
Tenney Otto Link
Drake refaced Rousseau Classic

So many options! Middle of the road pieces are everywhere! Just pick a brand with a good facing, and you'll be happy.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
I like the HR Link Tone Master design. You can get them in many varieties and when you get a good sound out of one it's Nirvana. It took me a long time before I could play one and get a good sound. For years and years my sound was dark and tubby on them, but I think I am finally there. Besides everyone should have a Link in the drawer, if for nothing more than a reality check once in a while.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,935 Posts
Morgan 5L or 6C.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Hello,

The Jody Jazz HR is very versitile. You can change the tone from smooth to edgy depending on your reed choice of strength and brand.

Reg

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the great responses. I think I'll get a few used ones along the lines of what is recommended, and sell the ones that don't work for me. If none of those work, I'll at least be closer to knowing what kind of sound I want, and I can get a custom Phil-Tone.

I'm also looking for a dark jazzy piece, but that may have to be a Jody Jazz DV NY.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,935 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,831 Posts
I'm also selling my Drake Custom (sorry for the plug, but the OP is looking). If you're interested, just type in "Drake Mouthpiece" on e-bay. Great piece, but turned out to be too dark for my taste (my tone concept changed).

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm also selling my Drake Custom (sorry for the plug, but the OP is looking). If you're interested, just type in "Drake Mouthpiece" on e-bay. Great piece, but turned out to be too dark for my taste (my tone concept changed).
Thanks. I've been watching it for a few days, considering a bid. But I'm not sure I need to go beyond traditional materials to get something decent. I am very interested to hear what that piece sounds like compared to a similar HR or metal piece though...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts