Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been struggling to find the right set up for my Chinese made nino. It plays in tune, plays well, but has just been a bit too bright sounding. Eventually I settled on a Yanagisawa 5 HR mouthpiece, that seemed to need a metal lig to play in tune. With this I could get the whole range of the instrument (a little sharp at the very top end, but nothing I couldn't change with a bit of lip) so that was fine.

I read on another thread recently of a player using a rubber band as a lig for his nino, so I thought, well why not? and I tried it too...it is a massive improvement in sound quality - a really lovely deep and mellow sound. I'm delighted. It even feels much better to play - has a great response - very 'alive'. The down side is that I'm now struggling to play above top end D. It plays easily enough right up to top D, and then won't go any further (it is a high F# horn). Has anyone else any experience of trying this with their ninos?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Try a BG L12rj

·
Banned
8,336 Posts
Hello again
I've never tried a rubber band but if the reed is being sealed and held firmly any well fitting lig should be fine and shouldn't alter the intonation, Try holding the reed on firmly with your right hand thumb, forefinger on top of the piece and playing the palm keys with your left hand. Bell on your knee for support. Then if all's well try your metal lig again. Make sure its firm but neither too tight or loose and it's actually sealing the reed. If it isn't a similar response you lig isn't doing it's job.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've tried to play it again today, and this time I could get up to the top notes OK! I think I was just unused to that set-up...I highly recommned it - it sounds great!...now I wonder if it will work on other horns too?...the amazing thing is not only has it improved my sound massivly but it has also improved the intonation!

I did put the rubber band on pretty tightly (one of the those thick red postal rubber bands). Thanks for the other tips too. I had thought of trying the BG lig, but its just more money (I spend too much already on horns and stuff for them!)...so to find a free lig that works this well is a revelation!!!!...the only thing is that eventually it will just dry up and fall off the horn...I guess we will always have rubber bands!

the plumbing O rings sound like the Bois lig.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Champion of the C-Me
2,057 Posts
...I did put the rubber band on pretty tightly (one of the those thick red postal rubber bands). ...I guess we will always have rubber bands!...
If your postmen in the North are like the ones in the South, yes... As they take bundles of letters out of the bags, our postmen conveniently just drop the bands as they walk. Recycling at it's finest [rolleyes] and cleans up the environment. Well done.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes our postmen do that too...rubber bands everywhere...Sometimes the postman hands me a couple of letters with two huge rubberbands around them...! ...must cost Royal Mail a fortune

BTW I've gone back to using an ordinary lig now as I'm using that mouthpiece on another nino. It was just that combination with that particular horn that seemed to be improved by it...mysterious!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts