Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been having trouble with RSI for quite some time now. A few months ago it started really getting in the way of my playing.

I saw a doc in June, and he put me on 6xadvils/day and stop playing for 10 days. Helped a little but no too much.

Did some nerve tests, confirmed all nerves are functioning properly - carpel tunnel ruled out. The doctor then said I should not play for a couple months. I couldn't really accept that. Playing is my profession so I can't just stop for that long.

I've visited a massage therapist, alexander technique instructor, tried ointments like Traumeel and Topricin, stretches, and yoga. Also took a look at Matt Otto's videos and have been doing the weights every few days.

Everything seems to help a little bit, but its always still there. It's a feeling of worn out/damaged muscles/tendons on my forearm.

What would you suggest?

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Rest your arm on an ice pack contoured to cradle your forearm for 15 minutes. Make sure the ice pack cradles your wrist and the base of your hand, too. This will shrink the tendons temporarily, allowing them more space to move. Then let your forearm lie flat and slowly regain temperature, without moving it. Limit your use of computer keyboard, and get one like this. Allow your wrists to float when typing. Despite the results of your nerve test, have you ever felt any tingling in the 3 strong fingers of your right hand? This would be a sign of nerve constriction. Acupuncture might be worth looking into.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,837 Posts
best things to do are exercises but don't underestimate psychotherapy, good luck.

·
Registered
127 Posts
you can try Voltaren Gel for RSD. I used it breifly for a tendonitis issue, and my ortho just loves the stuff. has some possible weird side effects (what doesn't?) but you should be sure to read and know what they are if you try it. Works well, not too expensive.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,837 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts