Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
7,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for peoples thoughts on the RS Berkeley legends Dexter Gordon pieces.
How have you found them?
Are they in fact based on a Link or a Dukoff piece?
At first view I thought Link but others seem to say they are based on a Dukoff Hollywood.
Do they compare well in quality to the Drake legends series pieces?
Love to hear from those who own one or have played one for a period of time.
Thanks.

·
7,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
4,580 Posts
Thanks Steve.
Yes it is indeed this piece.
You sound great on it, which isn’t really a surprise.
So am I right in assuming it is in fact a Link based piece?
Also if it is, have you ever compared it to the Drake Johnny Griffin piece which I believe is based on a double ring?
Following. I’ve toyed with buying one of these before.

·
7,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Following. I’ve toyed with buying one of these before.
Yeah they really have peaked my interest.
The smaller tips scare me more than a little, but I’m open to a change if it works for me.
Plus I’m a sucker for a good link STM style piece if it’s not a “link on steroids” type of thing.
That is of course if it is in fact a link type piece.?

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,798 Posts
Thanks Steve.
Yes it is indeed this piece.
You sound great on it, which isn’t really a surprise.
So am I right in assuming it is in fact a Link based piece?
Also if it is, have you ever compared it to the Drake Johnny Griffin piece which I believe is based on a double ring?
I believe this is based off his last Link that he played before he died if I remember correctly.

·
Administrator
17,294 Posts
I believe this is based off his last Link that he played before he died if I remember correctly.
Strange that they copied that small tip piece from Dexter's last days of playing (not his best period for sound), that was probably the only one available to copy.

The Link he played for many years (mid 60's onwards) was an 8* (with Rico 3 reeds), that's the one they should have copied to get that massive 70's Dexter sound.

·
12,798 Posts

·
12,798 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Strange that they copied that small tip piece from Dexter's last days of playing (not his best period for sound), that was probably the only one available to copy.

The Link he played for many years (mid 60's onwards) was an 8* (with Rico 3 reeds), that's the one they should have copied to get that massive 70's Dexter sound.
As mrpeebee knows all to well, there is a wealth of online misinformation on famous tenor players setups. Everyone online has their own megaphone. It would be helpful I think if proclamations about Dexter Gordon's mouthpieces were accompanied by a reference, following the references about Dexter's equipment might be like following a pinball around a machine for 50 years.
I wonder are you able to cite a reference for Dexter using an 8* Florida? A number of online authorities such as Nicolas Trefeil claim it was an 8.

·
Registered
44 Posts
As mrpeebee knows all to well, there is a wealth of online misinformation on famous tenor players setups. Everyone online has their own megaphone. It would be helpful I think if proclamations about Dexter Gordon's mouthpieces were accompanied by a reference, following the references about Dexter's equipment might be like following a pinball around a machine for 50 years.
I wonder are you able to cite a reference for Dexter using an 8* Florida? A number of online authorities such as Nicolas Trefeil claim it was an 8.
I'm no authority, however as a shy teenager I mustered up the courage to ask Mr. Gordon what mouthpiece he played. I don't know why I asked because I knew nothing about mouthpieces, I just knew his sound was incredible. I vividly recall to this day his reply of , "8 Otto Link with a 3 rico." I then asked him to sign an album that I brought and he graciously complied with my request. I have very fond memories of that evening.

·
Administrator
17,294 Posts
Yes, it's hard to find consistent and reliable data about mouthpieces used by great players. If I remember well I did read about Dexter's 8* Link in 'Dexter Gordon - A Musical Biography' by Stan Britt, but I could also have grabbed it from the liner notes on one of the many LP's I have from Dexter.

Here are some links:
- Dexter's biography: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1282114.Dexter_Gordon
- Nicolas Trefeil setup of tenor players: https://www.nicolastrefeil.com/tenor-sax-player-s-setup
- Old SOTW thread from 2011: https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showt...tups-Help-needed-from-SOTW-members-quot-quot/

I'd be more curious to know what size Dex's Hollywood Dukoff was.....but maybe that's just me. ;-)
Nicolas Trefeil (see above for the link) states that Dexter used a Dukoff BD Hollywood metal 5* slightly refaced with La Voz Medium reeds.

I'm not sure how reliable that is, because he is also not accurate about the mouthpiece Dexter used in the mid 40's. That was an Otto Link Tone Master 6 (not a Four****) which Dexter traded with Illinois Jacquet (who got Dexter's refaced TM 4) when both played with Lionel Hampton in the early 40's. That's what IJ has stated on several places (also in the above mentioned biography of Dexter).

·
Registered
112 Posts
There was another thread similar to this thread, but regarding the Charlie Parker mouthpiece. There was some question about it actually being the mouthpiece Parker used. Some thought it was a copy of the wrong mouthpiece. Having been a Parker fan most of my life I thought a copy of Parker's mouthpiece was a cool idea. But with the questions raised about its authenticity along with the hefty price tag I passed on buying one . But who knows, seems like a difficult controversy to resolve.

·
Premium Member
15,489 Posts
Guys, let me help out here.

The Link STM that Dexter played was definitely an 8*.

I am very good friends with Doug Lawrence, who is the lead tenor player for the Basie orchestra, and Doug has been very good friends with Dexters wife. Doug told me that he played that exact mouthpiece and it was definitely an 8*.

Dexters Conn 10M along with the Hollywood Dukoff were stolen, and that is why he went to the Mark VI and Link.
Johnny Williams, the bari player with Basie band for 47 years helped him pick out the Link.

His Dukoff was a 6*.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Guys, let me help out here.

The Link STM that Dexter played was definitely an 8*.

I am very good friends with Doug Lawrence, who is the lead tenor player for the Basie orchestra, and Doug has been very good friends with Dexters wife. Doug told me that he played that exact mouthpiece and it was definitely an 8*.

Dexters Conn 10M along with the Hollywood Dukoff were stolen, and that is why he went to the Mark VI and Link.
Johnny Williams, the bari player with Basie band for 47 years helped him pick out the Link.
I definitely recall him saying an 8, so either he failed to say "star" or quite possibly I didn't pick up on that. I was playing a Berg my band director gave me and didn't know anything about mouthpieces and Link tip openings.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts