Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do these comparison recordings for my self and thought I would also put up on this board for anyone interested. Im sure we are many many gear heads out there, or should i say sound freaks?

Anyway, here is a recording of both pieces ,trying to play the same stuff on both recordings. My setup here is large diaphragm MIC into USB sound interface into Mac mini and Logic Pro. Reverb added in logic and then exported to iPad for further reverb with AUFX.space app. Horn is 168xxx mk6 and Hemke 3.5 reed. No eq or compression added.

The rs Berkeley has been my main piece for over 2years and I feel comfortable on it. The baris is hr and cut from the same blank as Jody Jazz hr and John Thomas mouthpieces. I can relate to the Jody jazz sound on this.

Bari https://soundcloud.com/roger-nordling%2Fbari
Potter https://soundcloud.com/roger-nordling%2Fpotter

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,264 Posts
You sound great on both!
The RS Berkeley has a little clearer sound, I like that. What model is the Bari mouthpiece?

·
8,561 Posts
Berkeley seemed a little more focused for me.
And perhaps a little more bite to the tone.
Both sounded great with you blowing into them.

·
4,879 Posts
You sound like you on both. It's a coin toss to me. Most of these comparison clips in general end up like this, where the most important thing in the equation is how does it FEEL to play it, and only you can answer that.

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
13,131 Posts
That's was a tough comparison because there are different elements of each recording that sound great. Honestly, I have the same issue trying to pick the best mouthpieces out of the ones I have. People always ask "Which is your favorite?" or "Which is the best?" but they all have different strengths and weaknesses. One is brighter, one is darker, one is more focused, one is more spread. The best really depends on what mood I am in that day and what I want to play........I think you sounded great on both!

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the comments gentlemen. To me the Potter piece has more core,zing and a stronger voice all in all. A tough act to beat. Being a link design it’s also flexible and pretty focused.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
How’s the volume on your mouthpiece? Does it project?
The Potter projects more than the bari. It simply has more sound coming out, it has a bit more resistance too but give back a percussive fat sound. Pieces that are too free blowing doesn’t provide this percussive effect.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts