Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an Excalibur 7E but am considering an RPC rollover to get just a bit more edge. Does anyone have any experience with RPC in comparison to Morgan? (We're talking tenor here.)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,588 Posts
I have played both and consider the Excalibur to have more edge than the RPC rollover - in fact, my friend with the golden ears considers the Excalibur "trashy" in comparison.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I second Dr.G.'s opinion. I used to have both, sold the RPC and kept the Morgan. The E series is the edgier one and possibly the edgiest HR piece without a high step baffle.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,588 Posts
One man's trash is another's treasure, eh? ;)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
26,493 Posts
If we're talking tenor, and you want an RPC with edge, then go for a high baffled one. They're still quite versatile; and with a big enough chamber to blow darker than most high baffled pieces. I find the older ones a bit darker in comparison to newer models; for both high and rollover baffled tenor RPC's.

·
Registered
706 Posts
the rollover model is closer to the morgan jazz model.. and I would even say that it sounded fuller and darker to my ears than the medium chamber morgan model..
It is like in between of the M and L morgan jazz models..
surely not a piece if you are trying to go brighter than the E..

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I can't really think of a hard rubber piece that can give you more "edge" than an Excalibur when you want it. Maybe you should consider a Jody Jazz DV, or a Dukoff? (Neither of which I've played, but people seem to note their "edginess").

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Try trading your 'E' for someone else's 'EL' on this Forum. The larger chamber on the 'EL' may well solve your intonation problem. (I use a Morgan 'L' chamber piece on my tenor for precisely this reason).

·
Registered
205 Posts
Flyguy said:
i like the sound of the Excalibur but it plays way sharp.
What kind of posessed horn are you playing and more importantly what mouthpiece were you playing before the Morgan? I play the 6E on a CJS tenor and it has as good intonation as the instrument allows.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I don't know what horn Flyguy is playing, but in my experience, my Martin tenor likes a larger chambered piece. The upper range stays nice and full and in tune. My other piece (with a smaller chamber) gave me sharpness trouble in the upper range, with the same embouchure and set-up. Some players do better with larger chambers on certain horns, it's just the way it is.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm playing a JK SX90R (the nickel plated/gold if that matters).
If anyone wants to trade me an Excalibur 7EL or JazzEL for my Excalibur 7E please let me know. It's in very good condition and has a serial number in the 17xxx range.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,228 Posts
I can't make the comparison because I've never played a Morgan (I'm tempted, though!). I do have a .115 and .120 RPC, both with baffles. As Grumps says, these are very versatile. You can get all the edge you'd want (well, all the edge I'd want, anyway) and yet if you back off a bit you can play deep and dark also. I guess my point is, if you're looking for more edge, and you try an RPC, get the baffle model.

·
Banned
280 Posts
Flyguy said:
I'm playing a JK SX90R
That probably explains the Excalibur playing sharp. The chamber of the mpc is just a tad too small for the large-bore Keilwerth horn. I had the same issue 30+ years ago with a Meyer on my Super 20 tenor.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
As the old saying goes, "there are no guarantees." It just seems plausible to me (and I guess to others) that a larger chambered piece would help with your problem. You said you like the sound of the Excalibur, so a larger-chambered Excalibur piece would seem to be worth a try. If worse came to worse, and you actually bought a 7EL (new) and wound up not liking it, you'd have little trouble re-selling it on this Forum for a small markdown. Morgans are sought-after pieces (especially the larger chambered pieces for tenor).

Me, I really like my 7L on my vintage Martin. I loved my other mp too, but the 7L just does better intonation-wise. I have not played JKs, but I have heard (as stated above) that they are larger-bored horns, more like the vintage U.S. horns, which would also appear to support the theory that a larger-chambered piece (such as the EL) may be more suitable for you.

If you are still interested in trading your piece, I suggest taking your offer to the "Marketplace" forum and starting a new thread, where you are likely to get more attention. Good luck.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Yup, large bore horns (JK) need large chamber mpcs to have the correct cone volume. The L or EL will give you good intonation on the JK, but it will not give you more edge than the L or M series would have given you.
I have a 6EL and 7L that I use on my plain SX90 and I get volume, guts, bite, projection and joyful accoustic mayhem, but I don't think it can ever get as laser-like as the CJS horn using the E series.
You can find a bazillion posts on large bore versus narrow bore instruments on this forum. Perhaps the JK is not the best starting point for the sound you are seeking.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts