Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
There are plenty of threads about RPCs scattered here and there, but I wanted to add this quick note. Recently got an alto and tenor from Ron, and I have to say they are fantastic. A real pleasure to play. I have been a follower of RPC's for some time, at one point I owned and played 8 of his pieces, all the way from the original black letter blanks, red letter and blue letters. I got away from his rollover pieces I had from the earlier eras in the past 5 years, holding onto to my 115B tenors. I have to say his newest blue letter pieces are fantastic, I find them preferable in many ways to the older pieces. I wouldn't buy into the hype that somehow the older blanks are better; I much prefer the current facings. But thats just me. Anyhow, its been fun to rediscover these pieces again. Great facings, and really comfortable to play. Nice to put the other pieces in the drawer and feel good about a mpc for a while!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,981 Posts
I got lucky when I first started using RPC mouthpieces and found some really good ones on the second hand market; including the older styled blanks. However, since I've had Ron fill a couple custom orders, I'm sold on getting them straight from the man himself, made to order from your own specifications.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes, I agree. this tenor was ordered specifically in relation to how I perceived the 115B, and it is exactly what I was looking for.

·
Registered
249 Posts
RPC is all i play on....alto, tenor,bari...
How is Ron doing?..is he kickin these out a little quicker these days. .Six years ago , he made me some pieces, it took way too long..over 10 months to get them!

·
Registered
716 Posts
I have five or six of Ron's pieces. They keep getting better, so I keep buying them.
It is funny that sometimes the used ones sell for more than you'd pay to get a new one custom made by Ron.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
2,461 Posts
At Grumps suggestion I had Ron make me a mouthpiece for a vintage conn baritone. On which it worked very well. Since then I have been playing a rebuilt French made Low A Vito Baritone and I was struggling with consistently hitting the deep notes while using a Meyer 6M baritone mouthpiece. So I pulled out the RPC mouthpiece and gave it a shot. Result the deep notes just pop out.

Your results may very.

Thanks Grumps ... thanks Ron....

·
Registered
371 Posts
I have just bought 90R off ebay and wow what a piece,i have tried most mpc`s on the market over the years,i could have saved me a fortune if i would tried one earlier.
The complexity of the sound is awesome,great low register,powerful high register,just about the right amount of resistance.
BTW what ligatures do you use on these mpc`s

Thanks in advance

Brian

·
25,981 Posts
I have just bought 90R off ebay and wow what a piece... BTW what ligatures do you use on these mpc`s
Those are my favorite alto mouthpieces. I use a Francois Louis Ulitmate on my main one when gigging, but I have a spare I'll use when just bringing a mouthpiece for playtesting and such that I fit with a Rovner Evo 5.

·
Discombobulated SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 201
9,736 Posts
RPC is all i play on....alto, tenor,bari...
How is Ron doing?..is he kickin these out a little quicker these days. .Six years ago , he made me some pieces, it took way too long..over 10 months to get them!
I got a couple in the last year or so. It was much faster - like a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
I may want to try these again as I've loosened up my embouchure. Still, 90 seems awfully open for me on alto, and I hear RPCs tend to be more open than marked. Ron will make them whatever you want now. What tip openings do you all play on alto RPCs?

·
25,981 Posts
I play the 90 rollover on alto, but also had an 80 high baffle at one time. Surprisingly, they both played very similar for me. But as for RPC's being more open than marked, that's usually the older pieces; and more specifically, the tenor high baffled models. Ron's specialty is making more open mouthpieces that play easier than some smaller tipped pieces. If you're generally comfortable with a .075" tip opening on any other alto piece, the 90 rollover won't be a problem.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I have a .105 rollover and a .115 high baffle for my tenor. I called Ron, told him my story and he built the .105 to my specifications. I bought the .115 from someone here on SOTW. I have to say I like the .105 a lot better. The .115 is too much for me to handle. With the little time I put in practicing I don't have the chops for the more open piece. I do like the buzzy sound it has but I can't control it very well. I heard about them here and I'm happy with them. I'm thinking of trying one of his rollover pieces on my alto. Just need to save up a few bucks to find one. I think I'll call Ron and tell what instrument I play, how much time I put in etc so he can make it custom.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have to chime in here. I've been playing Ron's mouthpieces for about 12 years now and have also been addicted to the richness of sound as well as the great response.
I will say that I've had some of his pieces that respond better than others but overall they are excellent mouthpieces. I especially like the versatility of the .115B tenor piece that I currently use, it's gotten to the point where nothing else has the same flexibility as this one. My .85B on alto is also a killer piece. Any amount of time that you have to wait for him to
create one of these little gems is completely worth it. Frustrating at times but worth it ;-)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,118 Posts
I've joined the Red Letter Club!

Well, if any of you are kicking yourselves for not grabbing the red-letter 90 alto that was recently offered in the marketplace, KICK HARDER because it's fantastic! Now I know what THICK, FAT alto tone is. I've tried two of Ron's early blue-letter 80S alto pieces, one was exceptional but I eventually found the tip opening a little too small to handle the way I bite down for the extreme altissimo. Also tried a 90B alto that didn't work for me. This red is marked with just 90, has a medium/small chamber, and the baffle is not 'built-up' with added material, and shaped sort of like that on my Focustone tenor piece (but I'll never part with my 120B).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts