Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
Joined
·
27,250 Posts
Ron himself will recommend a standard two screw ligature; however he will admit that some of his clients prefer the Francois Louis or the Optimum. I use a standard two screw with my tenor rollover model, but a Francois Louis with the high baffle.
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
Joined
·
3,875 Posts
gsaxman100 said:
I found the FL puts gouges in the piece and isn't so secure. I like the Rovner light on an RPC.
I haven't had either problem with an FL on a 115B.
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
Joined
·
27,250 Posts
gsaxman100 said:
I found the FL puts gouges in the piece and isn't so secure.
I use FL's on alto, tenor and bari RPC's. They can slip when you adjust the mouthpiece for tuning, but then you adapt to it and grip the piece differently. I actually think the FL fits the newer styled RPC tenor blanks like a glove. As for gouges, my first RPC came with gouges from another ligature, but in three years or so, I haven't put any new ones in it with a FL.
 

·
Forum Contributor 2010, Distinguished SOTW Member
Joined
·
5,076 Posts
Grumps said:
I use FL's on alto, tenor and bari RPC's. They can slip when you adjust the mouthpiece for tuning, but then you adapt to it and grip the piece differently. I actually think the FL fits the newer styled RPC tenor blanks like a glove. As for gouges, my first RPC came with gouges from another ligature, but in three years or so, I haven't put any new ones in it with a FL.
I had a lot of trouble with a standard brass FL on my RPC. It just BARELY fit, and after about 6 weeks, it fell apart.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,606 Posts
The two best options I found for the RPC's I have had are the Rovner light and also the Oleg--I think both fit the variable body dimensions of the RPC's the best. I had a couple of red letter rollover pieces that were tough to find things that worked well, optimum was too small, the 2 screw worked but I liked the Rovner and oleg better. With a mouthpiece patch on top the Oleg didn't slip and it really improved response. But, I did notice a pretty drastic difference in the performance of the piece based on how far back the lig was...

Anyhow, I grew tired of the sound of those rollover pieces and I use the Rovner light on my 115B now. I wouldn't like the Francois Louis, this piece is already really free blowing--the rovner seems to center it in a good way I think...
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
Joined
·
27,250 Posts
Reedsplinter said:
I had a lot of trouble with a standard brass FL on my RPC. It just BARELY fit, and after about 6 weeks, it fell apart.
That is because Francois Louis hates you.

Actually, that may be why they've redesigned them. Mine are still holding up so far...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
26,254 Posts
I use a regular Bonnade alto lig on my alto RPC. I use a generic two screw on my tenor pieces.

Moody uses a FL on tenor when he plays his. Of course, he also has a HUGE tip and uses baritone sax reeds...
 

·
Forum Contributor 2010, Distinguished SOTW Member
Joined
·
5,076 Posts
hakukani said:
I use a regular Bonnade alto lig on my alto RPC. I use a generic two screw on my tenor pieces.

Moody uses a FL on tenor when he plays his. Of course, he also has a HUGE tip and uses baritone sax reeds...
I like Bonade ligs too, and would use one on my RPC tenor if it would fit. The regular tenor Bonade is too small, though. The RPC tenor piece is fat!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
26,254 Posts
Reedsplinter said:
I like Bonade ligs too, and would use one on my RPC tenor if it would fit. The regular tenor Bonade is too small, though. The RPC tenor piece is fat!
Yep, it's phat, too.
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
Joined
·
4,147 Posts
My old instructor used an Oleg on his RPC. I tried it and liked it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
393 Posts
I have an RPC .125, I use a Lebayle Wood Ring Ligature. It holds the reed very well in place and allows the reed to resonate and get a good sound.
Also works very well on Tenney Slant Sig. Hard Rubber.
George
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
Joined
·
34,720 Posts
gsaxman100 said:
I found the FL puts gouges in the piece and isn't so secure.
It's a ligature, not a vise. I've been using them from years now with no marks on any mouthpieces.

gsaxman100 said:
I like the Rovner light on an RPC.
I keep all my old Rovner lights deep in the bottom of my gig bag. Haven't had an urge to use them any more at all. Speaking of scars on mouthpieces, I cannot believe how many mouthpieces I have seen gouged by Rovners. Again, I've never had that problem either. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,606 Posts
I believe there are two groups of players, the overtighteners and the rest of us. I never have broken a lig screw and I don't tighten the lig that much. But a friend of mine tried a F.L lig I had and grabbed it and tried to force it on a piece that was not quite the right fit and thought nothing of it--I could see how he would maybe break a lig like that. I have always paid attention to if the lig fits properly or not and I don't force it if it doesn't...
 
1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Top