Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had Ron Coelho make me a .110HB with a 1/2" longer shank for my 12M; he was right in stating that contrary to popular wisdom, the mouthpiece didn't need to be a large chamber. The high baffle really woke up the upper octave without creating intonation problems in the upper notes on the LH palm keys. about 6 months ago I bought a really nice Yanagisawa B-6, and with the mouthpiece almost all the way on the cork, it plays well in tune on most of the range, but the high notes tend very slightly sharp, and a a little shrill. I talked to him about a rollover for the Yani, and he thought it might warm up the tone overall. Anyone have any experience and opinions with these kinds of horns and mpcs.Thanks.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
8,563 Posts
I had a rollover that I used on my B6 and it suited it quite well.
But in the end I preferred my Strathon Adjustatone on that horn.
I always thought that horn sounded better with a pice that had a reasonable baffle.
Which is not normally the type of piece I like on Baritone.
Generally I like a larger chamber, lower baffled piece like my Masterlink, but these just didn’t do it for me with that horn.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response, B. I've been pretty happy with the RPC I've got, and when I originally talked to Ron, he said "You'll never get out of the '50s with a rollover". Not that I thought playing like the '50s was a bad thing, but I think he was right about using the high-baffle on the 12M. I think I'll take the plunge on a rollover for the B6, but I haven't decided whether to keep the 12M, so I may end up with 2 RPCs. BTW, you were one of the people who spoke highly of the B6s, and it's one of the reasons I bought it. Good advice. Thanks!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
27,186 Posts
I play one of Ron's extended shank (5 1/2") rollovers on my Conn New Wonder bari. Gives it plenty of bark and bite, and allows for proper tuning. His bari rollovers aren't anything like his tenor or alto rollovers. The bari rollover is more a two-drop step baffle.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
8,563 Posts
Thanks for the response, B. I've been pretty happy with the RPC I've got, and when I originally talked to Ron, he said "You'll never get out of the '50s with a rollover". Not that I thought playing like the '50s was a bad thing, but I think he was right about using the high-baffle on the 12M. I think I'll take the plunge on a rollover for the B6, but I haven't decided whether to keep the 12M, so I may end up with 2 RPCs. BTW, you were one of the people who spoke highly of the B6s, and it's one of the reasons I bought it. Good advice. Thanks!
Yes the B6’s are nice baritones, I still miss mine on occasion.
I miss my RPC Rollover even more.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts