Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone out there played one of these mouthpieces on alto?
I have been searching for a mouthpiece that gives me everything I want.
I want a warm, fuzzy, dark sound, but I also want edge and projection when I need it. The RPC website has raving reviews about the pieces.
Any info on these pieces would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Nice, nice, nice mpcs.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,216 Posts
They're great mouthpieces, and Ron can set you up with whatever you want. I like the rollover better than the high baffle.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, guys. I will try searching *RPC instead of just RPC. I enjoyed the sound clips. It's nice to hear the piece in action.
I have been considering an RPC over an SR Tech Polycarbonate Legend 85. I will soon be playing a Keilwerth Shadow alto. Any opinions as to how well the RPC pieces play on a Keilwerth?

·
Registered
270 Posts
I have one labeled '.90B' and one labeled '.90'. The latter has hardly any baffle so it must be the roll-over model. I bought both used so I don't know how they were ordered from Ron.
I have tested quite few pieces for alto and the RPC's are as good as any or better. The high baffle model goes from really mellow to 'almost Sanborn' and the roll-over model does not get as bright but has more oomph on the mellow end. I prefer the sound of the roll-over but it seems to be bit too large chamber for my current horn so it's slightly difficult to play in tune (I need to push in too much). It would be great for a vintage horn that likes larger chambers I guess.
I assume if you tell Ron you need one for Keilwerth he will make it to match the requirements of the horn.
One thing to mention is that compared to meyer 6m these pieces are very loud due to the large tip opening. It requires much more work to play quietly with a good tone.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
26,486 Posts
Thanks, guys. I will try searching *RPC instead of just RPC.
Make that RPC*

I have been considering an RPC over an SR Tech Polycarbonate Legend 85.
I was playing the L85 prior to picking up a 90 rollover RPC second hand. The L85 is a perfectly fine mouthpiece, and is one of the better modern Meyer-type alto pieces out there. I found I preferred the more open RPC in comparison though, and have been with that on alto for years now.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
29,334 Posts
Any opinions as to how well the RPC pieces play on a Keilwerth?
I can't think of a reason why it would be any different to any other saxophone. But as with any RPC, the best thing is to speak to Ron about your playing and your current setup. He's the best person to answer that as it's a custom mouthpiece that he makes for you.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,216 Posts
Thanks, guys. I will try searching *RPC instead of just RPC. I enjoyed the sound clips. It's nice to hear the piece in action.
I have been considering an RPC over an SR Tech Polycarbonate Legend 85. I will soon be playing a Keilwerth Shadow alto. Any opinions as to how well the RPC pieces play on a Keilwerth?
Moody liked them on his keilwerth tenor.

·
Banned
2,248 Posts
Ron has a NEW 90BH model available now. I tried it last week and it's fabulous. Plays smooth but can be pushed bright while staying warm. Intonation spot on...He makes great pieces...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi blowers,
I have had for alto and tenor, in both cases the rollover model, because I like the dark sound, and can only say that they are wonderful.

It has been my main mouthpiece until buy my Meyer NY and sent it to Brian Powell, which is, without doubt, the best mouthpiece I've ever played.

The hard rubber have an extraordinary quality and laugh a beautiful warm sound but fat. It's the closest thing to Meyer NY that I've played .
I have also used Jody Jazz HR, Vandoren V16, modern Meyer, Tonalin, Super Session, Soloist... and none is comparable to the RPC in my humble opinion.

Baffle model is brighter and has more projection, but not the kind of sound that I like for jazz.

I have a serious problems in the mouth and I can't play with very open mouthpieces, and Ron gave me a 75 for alto and a 95 for tenor and the result is extraordinary for me. Easy, free blowing, and very kind.
Among other factors, I divide the Mouthpieces in friendly and unfriendly an this mouthpiece in friendly :bluewink:

Ron is one of the best :notworth:

Keep swinging :tweety:

·
Registered
54 Posts

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Donna, yes, likely a 0.085" tip opening. I have a couple alto RPC pieces in this range as well, best alto mouthpieces I ever played. One is scribbled .095, the other 90f (his Gary Foster model).

You may have noticed this is a 10 years old thread? Also, in case you don't know Ron Coelho has sadly passed away last year, so these are no longer made. We've had an extensive thread about his great pieces when he passed.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
26,486 Posts
I have a student who has been playing a Model 85 RPC alto mouthpiece. Is the 85 the tip opening?
It could be. And what I mean by that, is that some of his earlier mouthpieces are up to .01" off the mark, being more open tipped than numbered. Ron told me years ago that he didn't want to scare a player from playing a more open tipped mouthpiece. So he'd often underestimate the openings when marking them. I always thought Ron's forte was making very open, yet very playable mouthpieces. The first one I ever tried was a tenor mouthpiece marked 125, but in reality had a .134" opening. It is still my go-to tenor mouthpiece of choice.

Once Ron's reputation for playable open tipped mouthpieces became better known, his later offerings measured more true. They didn't scare anyone anymore.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Yeah I remember vividly my first talk with him about my first mouthpiece order in the late 90’s, telling him I wanted a medium opening. He told me not to be concerned about the opening. He just wanted to know what sound concept I was looking for was. He’d take care of making it play easy. I was surprised when he sent me a 0.095 but as soon as I started playing it that wasn’t a factor anymore.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
29,334 Posts
I have a student who has been playing a Model 85 RPC alto mouthpiece. Is the 85 the tip opening? I never played one of his pieces.
I presume that may be the case, but there wasn't such a model name when I was using RPC mouthpieces> Sounds likelt y=though
I was surprised when he sent me a 0.095 but as soon as I started playing it that wasn’t a factor anymore.
Yes, I keep banging on about how you can never make assumptions about tip openings because other factors such as length of lay can have just as much influence on perceived resistance.

Nobody ever listens to me of course.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts