Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully someone can help.

I've recently purchased secondhand a RPC blue letter alto mouthpiece which is a 95F, I am familiar with the R, B, and HB but not the F.
Anyone come across one of these before, its doesn't have a high baffle, i've included a couple of photos below.
Thanks in advance.

IMG_0032.JPG

IMG_0034.JPG

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,015 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Dr G
I have already emailed Ron, just thought someone on here might have come across one of these before.

More photos

IMG_0039.JPG

IMG_0041.JPG

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
26,710 Posts
Courtesy of the Internet Wayback Machine:

95F "Gary Foster" model... There is an interesting story behind this model. Back in 1996 I ran into Gary at the Bud Shank Jazz Camp in Port Townsend Washington. I was anxious to get some Pro evaluation of this mouthpiece. He played it for about 30 seconds and said "of all the mouthpieces I have played in the last 20 years this is the only one I would even consider switching to" he has been using it ever since then. Many of the 95F's I have made have gone directly to Gary for a friend or student where he could make sure it was the same as his... Price $285

·
34,015 Posts
Thanks for that, Grumps.

I was going to search on “F”, but it kept coming up with Country Joe McDonald and the Fish. :bluewink:

“And it’s one, two, three...” - Country Joe, Woodstock, NY.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
26,710 Posts
Yeah, back in the day, Ron had specific versions of his mouthpieces named for players that used them. I have an alto 90V, named for Mark Vinci, that became the standard for the current 90R.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Its the one he made for Gary Foster; hence the "F".

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all for the info, just looked up Gary Foster excellent player, I've owned a 90R and a 80B in the past, this one now is similar to R but is darker.

·
34,015 Posts
Thanks all for the info, just looked up Gary Foster excellent player, I've owned a 90R and a 80B in the past, this one now is similar to R but is darker.
Whew, I’d love to hear that. I worked with a lead alto player that had a 90B on his Selmer Serie II - what a great sound he had with that. Jim had the airstream of a tenor player, and was well-matched with that setup.

·
Forum Contributor 2012, SOTW Saxophone Whisperer,
3,214 Posts
Thats Interesting.

Back when I bought my RPC from Ron in 1998(?) it was before he started doing all the different lettering to the different "models". I got my 95 Alto after playing Ed Xiques' (Thad Jones / Mel Louis - sat next to Jerry Dodgion) and loving his, so i'm kinda wondering if I got one of those "F"'s as Ive never found an R to play the same as my mouthpiece I love.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts