Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2011
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the difference is about $160, but cannot decide which I prefer, and what reeds to use.

I am leaning towards the JJ, as it is a bit easier-blowing(and certainly LOUDER!), especially the low notes, and I seem to be getting-on better with Fibracell Premiers than Rico Jazz Select, or Vandoren ZZ... the Fibracells just seem to have a more instant response, although the cane is just a little softer-sounding.
I know Ron favours Jazz Selects, but I find them harder to get working on either piece. Maybe I need to try a few more samples of the JS, to ensure I get a 'good' one.

This is a free-replacement DV, chosen, allegedly, by Jody himself, as the original had faulty plating.
The chamber shape is very slightly different from the first, and it definitely blows more freely.

I want to like the RPC more than I currently do, as Ron spent so much time talking about my playing and (modest) 'aspirations' before he made it..... I wonder if I should phone him again and have a chat about it? (Can't do any harm, I guess)

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
One thing I noticed...just something weird...

I have a DV and an RPC 90R...well I was alternating between the two to decide which one I liked. Well I found that switching back and forth was hard...I played the DV for 10 mins and went to the RPC and wow hard. Same vise versa...

Just wondering maybe you have the same experience.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
26,013 Posts
rogerb40uk said:
I want to like the RPC more than I currently do, as Ron spent so much time talking about my playing and (modest) 'aspirations' before he made it..... I wonder if I should phone him again and have a chat about it? (Can't do any harm, I guess)
You gotta be honest with yourself when it comes to being comfortable with your own set-up. Talk to Ron.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
have you tried the other sizes of the DV? Like the 7 or 8? Jody's mouthpieces are really easy to play you can probably go bigger. Bigger opening=more air=bigger sound. Just my opinion of course I don't have a degree in physics.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts