Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

Anyone else try one of Ron's pieces made of Ultem? He sent me a few recently, and they are pretty cool; I actually really like it. It has a lot of power, but it had surprising darkness for a high baffle piece.

Here's a demo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-e1gqxTBNk

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,273 Posts
Hey Guys,

Anyone else try one of Ron's pieces made of Ultem? He sent me a few recently, and they are pretty cool; I actually really like it. It has a lot of power, but it had surprising darkness for a high baffle piece.
Can you please elaborate on which one of the high baffle pieces you play tested? Medium high, high or both? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can you please elaborate on which one of the high baffle pieces you play tested? Medium high, high or both? Thanks!
I believe this one is a standard "high" baffle. He does one with a REALLY high baffle though, and this one wasn't that.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,491 Posts
You sound great on that video clip. I have a couple of 120B RPCs. One of them has a relatively high step baffle and the other has a baffle about the same height, but with a more rounded end, kind of a bullet cut out. The step baffle is considerably louder with more edge. But regardless of the baffle shape, I think the reason these mpcs aren't super bright is due to the open tip (120 to 125). I had a 115B for a while and it was noticeably brighter.

Anyway, that amber-colored material (whatever it is) looks really cool. Do you notice anything different in how it plays from the HR pieces?

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You sound great on that video clip. I have a couple of 120B RPCs. One of them has a relatively high step baffle and the other has a baffle about the same height, but with a more rounded end, kind of a bullet cut out. The step baffle is considerably louder with more edge. But regardless of the baffle shape, I think the reason these mpcs aren't super bright is due to the open tip (120 to 125). I had a 115B for a while and it was noticeably brighter.

Anyway, that amber-colored material (whatever it is) looks really cool. Do you notice anything different in how it plays from the HR pieces?
Thanks! I do think the new material resonates a little darker than the same model in hard rubber. The baffle on this one is a bullet style baffle. I agree that the bigger tip opening lets it be a lot more flexible. I could push it pretty bright, but it was easy to darken/fluff it up quite a bit.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,491 Posts
The baffle on this one is a bullet style baffle.
Got it. As I said, the bullet style baffle seems to have a bit darker, warmer tone than the step baffle, given the same tip size. Ron makes really good mpcs. I'm sure they all play well, but I suspect they vary considerably since he usually makes them as a custom order.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,187 Posts
Ron sent me an Ultem bari mouthpiece when I ordered a 110B from him earlier this summer to replace my 120B. The mouthpiece plays great! Can't say there are differences that I can specifically attribute to the material, since there are a ton of design differences (Ron's machined blank vs Babbitt blank, different chamber configuration, different baffle configuration, different facing curve, different tonal concept), but I do like that Ultem is super heat-resistant and can be washed with hot water without fear of it discoloring or warping. Apparently I could even boil it, but that's not a bridge I'm ready to cross just yet.

I've moved away from metal mouthpieces on my horns, and for the most part have been very happy with my mouthpieces, but I have missed the ability to scrub the mouthpieces with soap and hot water. Ultem seems great for that!

I am tempted to pick up an Ultem tenor mouthpiece, but I think I need to stop buying RPCs when there is nothing wrong with the ones I've got!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts