Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/ Forum Contributor 2009
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
His name is better known for vintage reeds, and I understand that his company became Rico, but there are also some hard rubber mouthpieces that bear his name. I've got one for alto and one for tenor. Anyone know anything about them? I'm guessing they were probably made by Gregory—they look similar—as Rico was their distributor.

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
I don't think these were made by Gregory although I can see where that might be a logical deduction. As far as I know Roy Meier produced his own line for awhile or had them made for him, but not by Gregory.

·
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kritavi said:
I don't think these were made by Gregory although I can see where that might be a logical deduction. As far as I know Roy Meier produced his own line for awhile or had them made for him, but not by Gregory.
I just figured what with Rico distributing Gregory, Gale, Simpson, et al., and Maiers also being from Los Angeles, it was pretty likely. Also, the Maier alto piece I've got is exactly like a Gregory Los Angeles, made out of that fibery resin material, straight sidewall chamber.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,385 Posts
I have one of these that JVW did (not for me but the previous owner). They are very very very similar to the gregories. Jon slightly widened this piece in the throat. I wouldn't have noticed until I saw an untouched one on ebay that has a throat just like the gregory I have. That plus the body size etc.. if gregory didn't make this ... how many factories dedicated to saxophone mouthpieces could there havde been in Los Angeles?

Just a thought. BTW it's an excellent blowing piece, a real cool school vibe from it.

·
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Took some pics of these pieces last night for a friend and thought I'd toss 'em up here for kicks. Seems to me the similarity to certain Gregory alto pieces, and the fact of Maier making reeds for Rico (and many others) in Los Angeles, makes the connection pretty likely. Sure is weird material on the alto piece:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts