Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A terrible loss for the music world. So Young. Such a genius. Got to hear him many times and play with him here and there at sessions. Roy was a spectacular player. The most natural feel. Really tapped into cosmic energy when he put that horn to his lips.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just heard from a good friend of his and he said it was kidney failure.
All I can tell you myself is that I saw him perform here in NY in the spring, and I'm sorry to say that he was as high as a kite.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I revered his playing, especially his ballads and sometimes he brought tears to my eyes. Like now, but for a different reason. Coincidentally, I was listening to him last night on Utoob and then watched an interview with him. He was very high and puffy, he could hardly open his eyes. The strange thing was that he was very lucid & said some really intelligent things. Don't know how they do it. RIP, Roy! One of our finest players on the scene. This one really got to me.
George

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
Oh man, what a shock. Liked all of his music but really enjoyed "Earfood". Sad.

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,786 Posts
RIP. I met Roy at Berklee. When he first got there he would roam the ensemble rooms constantly looking for people to jam with. No fear or timidness. I remember a number of times he would knock on our door and ask to sit in with us. He would come in and just go for it over what ever we were playing whether he knew it or not. I'll always remember that really outgoing friendly kid popping his head in the door. It really is too bad he got into drugs. I remember seeing him later and he always seemed pretty high on something. A couple times he couldn't even really talk to me. Very talented individual. RIP Roy.

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,562 Posts
Yes. Cardiac arrest. He’d been hospitalized for failing kidneys due to drug use and his heart stopped. Somehow I only managed to see him live once, with an emcee and a rhythm section...damn did he slay it. RIP.

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
481 Posts
Oh, that is such terrible news. So sad to hear this.

·
Administrator
17,253 Posts
I've seen Roy performing multiple times here in NL at North Sea Jazz Festival's.

Preferred him as musician and stage artists at the very beginning of his career, while still fresh and innocent. As a young player he was influenced a lot by my trumpet hero Roy Eldridge and like the older Roy he liked to play with a lot of power and intensity.

First time I saw him performing live was at Saturday 11 July 1987 here in NL in a trumpet battle with besides Roy also Jimmy Owens, James Morrison and Woody Shaw on trumpet (if I remember well Wynton Marsalis also showed up for some numbers):
- Day program: https://www.northseajazz.com/en/program/1987/saturday-11-july/timetable/time/
- Trumpet battle details: https://www.northseajazz.com/en/pro...ovejames-morrisonwoody-shawrob-agerbeek-trio/

Clearly remember his first solo and the reaction of the public: everybody was amazed that such a young guy (he was 19 at that time) played so well and with soo much fire (the Roy Eldridge influence!). His trumpet looked very long, not like the more fancy horns he played later in his career. I also remember Roy's face when Australian master musician James Morrison played his first solo. James is an amazing trumpet player and showman and he often starts his solo's without issue on a high G, blowing the roof of easily. I saw Roy turning his head towards James when he started his first solo, looking with a big smile and an expression on his face like 'What the heck is this guy doing!'. I could see the respect and enthusiasm in his whole attitude towards all the other great trumpet players in this battle and he got the same back from them, because he was an amazing young player at that time.

Very sorry to see again a great musician being destroyed by drugs (hopefully people learn from that).

·
Premium Member
15,477 Posts
WHAT A JOYOUS CELEBRATION OF MUSIC AND LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks so much for posting that, Jim.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts