Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried out a few Tenor Saxophones at Music Discount Warehouse at South Bend , IN today and ended up buying a Roy Benson TS-202 Tenor Student. I liked the playability over the "advanced" Roy Benson TS-302 as well as the Orpheo Tenor. The Orpheo had wonderful deep rich tones to it though. Beautiful sound but the lower keys were a struggle for me to make a clean note playing (newbie... VERY) Then I went to the Roy Benson TS-202 and hit those lowest notes without a bit of a problem. Using a Yamaha 4C mouthpiece on loan from a friend of mine with Rico 1.5 reed. So, between the 3 new Saxophones I used the same MP and same reed.

I ended up buying the Roy Benson TS-202 and after I played it when I got home, I went to clean the body and neck. That is when I noticed there was rust down in side the neck piece as I swabbed it out. It is the kind of rust that if you wipe your finger inside the neck you get a bit of fine rust on your finger.

Why would a neck have rust? It was the only one that was a floor model but had a clean cork on it and just a mild bit of dust. Are not the necks made of brass like the rest of it? I plan to call them tomorrow morning after they open up to see about it. Just bought and already has rusty neck inside..... or, am I making to much of a deal over it? For the money I spent I would not think it would have rust though.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update,... Well, I went back to Music Factory Direct in South Bend and talked to them about it. Owner, Dennis, let me play the Vento 900 series black with the Bronze wide bell (tenor). Beautiful engraving. Gave up some more of my hard earned cash (not too much) and swapped out the Roy Benson for the Vento 900 Tenor. Even has copper looking neck and bell, as well as engraving inside the bell and on the the tone hole covers (for lack of the right word). Tone holes are rolled over and it really plays beautiful and fairly easy for a beginner.

Really pretty engraving on the whole of the horn and the black/silver really shines in contrast to the rest of the instrument and keys.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Rolled tone holes! I didn't know anyone was making these (still/again.) Even Keilwerth just solder round rings on the chimneys.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,584 Posts
Brass doesn't rust. Possibly it was residue from the jeweler's rouge used in polishing.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Roy Benson? Vento? :S
I exchanged the Roy Benson Student Tenor TS-202 for the Vento 900 big bell Tenor. The bell looks like copper as does the neck. The Vento has rolled tone holes on each tone hole, adjustable thumb rest. Here are some of the specs:
The 900 series Yellow Brass Tenor Saxophone has a Broad Phosphorous Bronze Bell that Projects.
Engrave Neck, Body, Bell, and Keys for a dazzling effect.
Drawn and Rolled Tone Holes matched with High Quality Leather Pads
Rollers on Little Finger Spats and Abalone Key Buttons
Double Cup Arms on Low C, B and B-flat. Also includes, Neckstrap, Mouthpiece, Ligature, and Case.

Also It has engraving on ALL the Cups and all along the side of the body, which is black and then shows the light brass color underneath, as well as engraving on the neck piece as on both the outside AND inside of the bell as well. Want pictures? I guess I should start another thread about it, huh?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dave, the only answer I got from them, is pretty much what others have said in here, is that they suspected it was probably some left over buffing compound. Except, I have used buffing compound and it is more reddish. This was light orange colored. I know... Brass doesn't rust, it can leach copper though. Still makes me wonder what that was exactly. My theory is that the tool they used to bend the neck there in China manufacturing facility may have had some rust on it and merely transfered over into the neck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts