Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,
Has anyone played both the Rovner Mk.III and Versa ligs to tell if the metal reed plate on the Versa (new version of the older Eddie Daniels model) make upgrading from a Mk. III worth it?
I have a Mk. III that I use on an Otto Link NY STM tenor mouthpiece. It’s the only lig I have that fits. My Selmer 404 will not fit the NY. The Link lig I have fits but is not very stable. I like the Mk. III fine, but I am wondering if the Versa is different enough to perhaps have a more open Selmer 404 type of tone or feel. I know that there is the FL lig, but I have read that even that one might not fit on the NY STM, and it’s a bit more than I want to spend. Any thoughts on the Versa as an upgrade from the Mk. III, or is it pretty much the same performance?

Thank you

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
26,013 Posts
I've played a variety of Rovners of all sorts, and all names (which change from time to time). I had the Eddie Daniels model. And yes, it works. However, if you are the sort of person who wants to fidget endlessly with equipment, changing different plates, alternating leather tabs in countless various ways... and then settle on what you think gives you the best feel... only to have the plate you favor slip off the mouthpiece and into a dark corner below the stage, never to be found again... well then, this is the sort of ligature you can't live without.

Me? I hate it. Arguably the most needlessly over-engineered piece of saxophone related equipment; flawed in design and execution.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
Grumps: FUNNY!!! I feel the same way - and not only about this thing - many other ligature contraptions.

I too have a variety of Rovner ligatures (and many others) and when fiddling with the Rovners, I find they all play about the same. I would think the ED/Versa design would work the best, but it doesn't. The plain old strap version does the same thing. Of course, after I've finished fiddling, I go back to either my metal Selmer two-screw of my Vandoren Optimum (when the mouthpiece I'm using is too small for the Selmer).

And, I have lost those little lead slugs - but the lig plays the same with or without one inserted. DAVE

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,961 Posts
I've played a variety of Rovners of all sorts, and all names (which change from time to time). I had the Eddie Daniels model. And yes, it works. However, if you are the sort of person who wants to fidget endlessly with equipment, changing different plates, alternating leather tabs in countless various ways... and then settle on what you think gives you the best feel... only to have the plate you favor slip off the mouthpiece and into a dark corner below the stage, never to be found again... well then, this is the sort of ligature you can't live without.

Me? I hate it. Arguably the most needlessly over-engineered piece of saxophone related equipment; flawed in design and execution.
<rimshot/cymbal crash>

Amen.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,026 Posts
I like the Mk. III fine...
There's your answer. You have a lig that fits well and you like it fine. No need to mess around changing it for something else that may or may not fit properly and work fine. If the Versa fits as well, it will work just as well and there will be no difference.

As to those plates that fit in the ED lig (and I guess the Versa has them also), Dave is right. You don't need them. That lig works exactly the same without them.

·
Registered
773 Posts
There's your answer. You have a lig that fits well and you like it fine. No need to mess around changing it for something else that may or may not fit properly and work fine. If the Versa fits as well, it will work just as well and there will be no difference.

As to those plates that fit in the ED lig (and I guess the Versa has them also), Dave is right. You don't need them. That lig works exactly the same without them.
+1

I have both the Ed Daniels model, as well as the Versa. Both work just fine, and one is no better than the other. I no longer use either of them.

As a side not, Eddie D. is not using the Model III on tenor, at least not in the last performance, June 1-2, which is on YouTube. He's using hard rubber mouthpiece, with what looks like a Selmer 2 screw ligature. See Video starting at 1:01:58 He also plays tenor on the last tune of the set.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_m7_hA8a_Y

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,773 Posts
Never used the EDII on sax, but I used it on clarinet and bass clarinet for about 12 years (I think...a long time). It's still what I would use on clarinet if I were playing in orchestras and needed to move the mouthpiece back and forth between Bb and A clarinets, since it holds so securely.

I never once had the plates fall out and I did find there was a small difference between them, mostly in feel. I ended up liking the thinner plate on Bb clarinet and the thicker on bass. I recently switched to Vandoren ligatures on clarinet (M/O on Bb, Optimum on bass) that I like a little bit more, but I actually keep the EDII ligatures in both clarinet cases just because I'm a little paranoid that I'll drop the metal ligatures and crush them underfoot at some point.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
I’ve been using the versa on alto and clarinet (and bari when I play it), and I like it. Just ordered one for a new tenor mouthpiece which fits an alto hr lig as well. I like it as I find it more reliable than other rovner models in holding the reed and creating a good seal between the reed and table. (I find the legacy model really nice, but as it has a thinner and angled metal plate that doesn’t touch thd reed entirely I have issues with it as the reeds change with moisture). Just a matter of what you hear in the sound, but I like the free blowingness of the versa with some added resonance I get from the lig that I can use a softer reed and a bit brighter mpc without getting overly bright.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts