Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fasten your seat belt, this Star Series ligature goes into orbit! I tried one yesterday on my tenor Guardala 'King Curtis'. This ligature allows the maximum response from a reed. If you are looking for volume, projection/penetration, you probably should try one. For my mouthpiece I had to get a soprano lig, the SS-1RVS. I have another one for larger/Link metal tenor, SS-3ML, which is listed in the Marketplace. What it actually does is to dampen less of the higher frequencies in your tone, so it gets 'brighter' with the same reed as your previous lig. I am definitely keeping mine because sometimes you just want more edge because of acoustics at the venue or problems with reeds, whatever, and it is nice to have a quick fix like this in the case.
A typical case might be where you want to go with a slightly harder reed but don't want stuffiness - this is where you put on the Star Series ligature.
The opposite of the Star Series is the MK III C-2M, also for the 'slim tenor' - this dampens more of the higher frequencies resulting in a darker sound. You would want this kind of ligature if your set-up has been sounding too bright. I also have this one listed on the Marketplace.

·
7,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Darn it, I knew better but I used the Star Series on a gig today and I loved it. I actually feel sorry for the ones who insist the ligature makes no difference - they are really missing out. The way Rovner keeps making new kinds of ligs and dropping the old ones, every time I get used to one they discontinue it. I guess I'll just have to buy two more of them which should last me the rest of my gigging days. The one I've been using for 20 years actually is not worn out and its still a great ligature.

·
7,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Still digging the SS-1RVS on the tenor Guardala. A major effect of a ligature that 'frees-up' the reed is that more reeds will play on it - it makes the set-up more 'reed-friendly'. The practical result of this for me was I played the last couple of jobs on 'orange-box' Rico #2 1/2. The natural variability of reeds makes some more resistant than others but with this ligature the percentage of reeds I can play 'out-of-the-box' jumped from about 30% to about 80%.
The other thing is, while it seemed much 'brighter' at first, if you play it a few times you seem to adjust to that and it settles out simply to be more responsive - definitely does not 'thin-out' the sound in any register.
Now I carry the old ligature in the case as the spare.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Thanks for the tip! Going to have to definitely check these out. Have not played on a Rovner in many years. This seems to have all of the good characteristics that I look for when checking out ligs

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
I bought the one that 1saxman had for sale and love it.
Super easy to deal with as well. He mailed them out the very same day he received payment and I got them (I bought two) the very next day.
Thanks, Gary!
George

·
7,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I didn't explain something very well - for the last ten years I have been struggling with reeds. I used RSJ 3S for years but they began to get stuffy on me about 10 years ago. I've bought lots of different reeds over that time without any real progress - then I had one of my tenors overhauled and discovered the source of the stuffiness/resistance was leaks. That was only a few months ago and it had an immediate effect on what reeds could be played, but even so there was still a hint of 'reed trouble'. Now with the SS lig I don't have any special reed requirements - regular Rico plays fine and so does the 'Royal'. That's a major development for me and the things that have made it possible are the overhaul, a neck change and the ligature. These changes took place one at a time over a period of about six weeks so I know for sure which changes had which result. I am enjoying playing again and the benefits of that are starting to show up in the overall quality of my playing and my sound.

·
Premium Member
15,495 Posts
When I put my first line of metal pieces out, those were the ligatures that I included with my pieces.
I thought they were fantastic. I’m glad other people are finding out how nice these can be.
Very good bargain, too.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2008-2017
2,234 Posts
I kind of like Rovners. I do. Have not tried the Star Series, but I will. Thank for the tip. I kind of favor the Light model because it's really convenient and will not tarnish in green.... as the Vandroen ligs I have had.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
1,324 Posts
Is the Rovner size chart pretty accurate? I have had issues with it in the past. It's telling me I need an SS-2M for a tenor gold brass Ponzol. I remember buying the light ligature for Dukoffs and they were always too small.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
I don't have any of the star series yet, but do have several of the legacy series which are the same design as the star and have a metal perforated cradle that holds the reed. Very nice ligatures; they work beautifully on clarinet and sax mouthpieces.

·
Registered
197 Posts
When I put my first line of metal pieces out, those were the ligatures that I included with my pieces.
I thought they were fantastic. I’m glad other people are finding out how nice these can be.
Very good bargain, too.
+1
Very interesting - was trying different ligs on my metal 10MFan Merlot tonite and came across the Rovner lig Mark included with it when I bought it years ago. Forgot I had it and tonite play testing all ligs, found the original Rovner beat out all of my others (!). Then I came across this thread... as usual, you were right Mark...

Chubarry

·
2,773 Posts
So, after reading this thread and wanting to pick up a ligature that fit my HR tenor pieces well (I have a Selmer two-screw that is really too small but sort of fits), I decided to try an SS and ended up really liking it. It seems to play really differently from a Rovner Dark. It doesn't seem to have the "muffled" feeling that I get with a Dark. Does anyone know why that is?

Whatever the reason, I ordered them for clarinet and bass clarinet as well and like them quite a bit. The sound is good, they hold the reed well, they aren't fussy about adjustment, they aren't a pain to use, all at a reasonable price. Works for me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts