Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What mods have you done to your Rovner ligs? I have a Mark 3 that I improved by cutting out the internal flaps.
Well, everyone has their experience. I've been using them almost exclusively since 1978; have had only one ever fail and that was after about 20 years of use; easy to put on, hold reed firmly to mouthpiece table, don't slip when you tune, no effect on sound. Never noticed any stretching.14 years ago when I decided to start playing again after a 10+ year hiatus from high school noodling around I had a Rovner dark. I bought it at the local shop because I needed a lig to fit my new Link STM piece that didn't come with one. One of the slats cut into it tore and a section of material came out and it worked better so I cut out more. Then I discovered the Rovner light poking around on the web and realized that's what I'd done to my dark model. Both the mouthpiece and ligature were terrible. Someone who I bought a sax from a little later brought the mouthpiece to life by flattening the table and putting a good facing on it. It got even better when someone laid a selmer 404 on me. I briefly flirted with a Rovner that had a funky metal device in it that looked like one of those hard-boiled egg slicers, but it was very short-lived. I'm firmly in the Rovners suck camp. Cheap ligs that stretch quickly or have hardware failures.
You beat me to the punch line...I tossed mine in the trash. No more scratches on mouthpieces, no more dull tone.