Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
5,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, title pretty much says it all. I've had a Rovner EVO-5 in use on my 6* STM for almost two years now. Guess I got it back in December of 2009 thereabouts. But anyway, it worked great on both my STM and 7 STM NY mpcs. Sealed the reed to that concave table better than the stock ligs but guess I had to tighten it down a bit too much and too many times for it. About one-quarter of the fabric has separated from the metal bars and now it doesn't work.

Rovner doesn't make the EVO-5 anymore. It has been replaced by a new and improved model that I may have to look into. In the mean time the stock lig will fill in okay.

Anyone else had a Rovner EVO-5 "break" on them? Or any Rovner lig for that matter?

·
Registered
258 Posts
I've never had any Rovner actually break on me… but on my old alto Rovner Dark, the head of the screw itself (the part opposite the nut you actually tighten) has started wearing down and through the fabric from rotating ever so slightly when I tighten the lig. It's about 4 years old. Still works well, however.

I haven't noticed any problems with my alto EVO-5 (came as NOS with my Deep-V around a year ago), Versa (around 3 years old), or tenor Dark (about 1 & 1/2 years old) as of yet.

It seems the fabric part of the EVO-5 is just sandwiched into the bars, rather than having the screw pass through it like on the Dark. That might contribute to increased likelihood of damage similar to what happened to you.

Also: I've seen a few NOS EVO-5s still being sold on some websites and in stores... I think SaxPlus might have a few left.

·
5,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No problems with the screw! Did put a spot of cork grease on the threads at the beginning that helped a lot.

Yeah, the fabric is just sandwiched some way and it's pulled out on one of the bars.

Saxplus, eh? I think that's where I got this one! I'll check with them again! Cheers!

·
5,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yup, bought the first EVO-5 from Saxplus. They list one for alto and maybe some low profile metal tenor mpcs since Rovner discontinued the EVO-5. However, that replacement model, "Star" is like almost half the cost of my EVO-5. May have to look into that one a little more closely.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Well, title pretty much says it all. I've had a Rovner EVO-5 in use on my 6* STM for almost two years now. Guess I got it back in December of 2009 thereabouts. But anyway, it worked great on both my STM and 7 STM NY mpcs. Sealed the reed to that concave table better than the stock ligs but guess I had to tighten it down a bit too much and too many times for it. About one-quarter of the fabric has separated from the metal bars and now it doesn't work.

Rovner doesn't make the EVO-5 anymore. It has been replaced by a new and improved model that I may have to look into. In the mean time the stock lig will fill in okay.

Anyone else had a Rovner EVO-5 "break" on them? Or any Rovner lig for that matter?
I have never had problems with the Rovners "breaking" on me. I have owned all kinds of Rovners, including the EVO-5. Unfortunately, I sold my Evo's along with some mouthpieces about 2 years ago (wished that I hadn't). However, I have discovered that the Star-Series that has replaced is, is just as good if not better.

You need to keep the metal moving parts (the tightening screw knob and screw itself) ever so slightly lubricated. I actually use a very small dab of my corkgrease to do the job. When in use, you really need to back off on the tension after your horn and mouthpiece warm up. As your mouthpiece expands, the Rovner will expand along with it. If you already have it at maximum tightness, then you're really stretching the fabric. After time, I can understand how it would start tearing, separating, etc. from the fittings.

I like the Star-Series not only because they are so inexpensive, but also work great when the tightening mechanism is inverted (or re-inverted) and placed on the read. For me, it offers a more responsiveness to the attack (articulates better). Just some ideas and perspective. Peace.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
7,212 Posts
Tell them to make them again.

Rovners used to be $10, which is why they were considered as an option in the first place.
I went to their site recently and couldn't believe the prices.

Everyone, jump on the hose bus.

·
5,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Check out saxplus.com for prices on Rovner ligs. My old EVO-5 and the Star Series are a bit cheaper than those on the Rovner site.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts