Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been thinking about getting a Rovner ligature. Right now i am using an old rusty Selmer lig that the school has given me. Has anyone had any bad experiences with rovners??

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,147 Posts
The Selmer lig will be better than a Rovner if you are using a Selmer mouthpiece, or anything else it fits properly. Those are good ligs...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The sax is a school instrument, so i am using the stock yamaha mouthpiece that came with the sax. the selmer has been pretty good though

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008,
3,891 Posts
Get yourself a Rovner light. One of the cheapest Rovners, and unlike with the dark, the reed can still vibrate quite freely. Ive got a bunch of them because they are very reliable that way.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Just depends on who you talk to. I happen to love Rovners. Some people say that they muffle/dampen the sound, but if ligs have any noticeable effect, I'd say Rovners give more liveliness and harmonics in the sound. Plus, they're cheap, don't bend or break and won't scratch your mpc.

-Dan

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,766 Posts
I like the Selmer ligs a lot. I can't really get along with Rovners, except for the EDII, but I've recently switched to a Bonade on clarinet. Still use the EDII on bass clarinet, though.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I've used, and still do, an ED II both with a Link tonemaster and on a Morgan 8L and find it gives a warm, buzzy sound.

I've never even bothered messing around with the different plates, the one it came with sounds fine to me.

cheers,
L.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I put a Rovner dark on a Yamaha4C and it sounded very muffled and dead. I changed it for a Rovner Light and loved it. I also have one on my alto .
I like the way you can easily move it around and even turn it over. The single screw is very easy to use and strong too.

I guess like a lot of things, you will have to try it for yourself.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
2,666 Posts
I'm one who's had experiences with Rovner ligatures dampening my sound.

After trying many different kinds of metal and fabric ligatures over the years I became completely sold on the Vandoren Klassik string ligature. It's easy to put on the mouthpiece (just slide it on) and there are 2 slip-ends for adjusting the tightness. I have yet to find something about it that I don't like....except for Vandoren not making the Klassik for bass clarinet!

Roger

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
I love my Rovner Ligs. on almost all of my mouthpieces. I have used the Selmer ligs. but they were alittle dull with my Selmer mouthpiece. Switched to the Eddie Daniels, and loved it. It darkens up the tone enough, but it still keeps it interesting.
Its very personal, the best way to find out, is to try it out for yourself.

I would like to switch all my ligs over to Eddie Daniels, but Dang they are expensive. I got mine about 3 years ago for I think $30, and haven't looked back.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,887 Posts
Roger Aldridge said:
I'm one who's had experiences with Rovner ligatures dampening my sound.

After trying many different kinds of metal and fabric ligatures over the years I became completely sold on the Vandoren Klassik string ligature. It's easy to put on the mouthpiece (just slide it on) and there are 2 slip-ends for adjusting the tightness. I have yet to find something about it that I don't like....except for Vandoren not making the Klassik for bass clarinet!

Roger
I don't like Rovner Darks for the same reason. They don't allow the reed to vibrate correctly, hence the muffled sound. The Vandoren Klassik is a great choice, as is the Consoli.

And on a side note, Pyne makes a string ligature for bass clarinet that is very similar to the Klassik.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,901 Posts
Boontigula said:
i have a rovner dark for rubber tenor mp that is brand new. i'll sell it too ya cheap-don't like em at all.
You know, up until yesterday I swore by the Rovner Dark on my Tenor NY Link for several years. I've been having trouble in the altissimo range in the A3 to B4 range. The sax has recently been overhauled so I ruled out the possibility of leaks. I've been switching between Tenor and Bass Clarinet reeds, which helped, but the notes were still problematic. Last night I dug up the stock lig to the STM that I stopped using because it was accidentally dropped and slightly bent. BINGO!!! The notes were popping out with more flexibility than they ever have on the horn.

So now I'm looking for a ligature that holds the reed like the Link's, but has the extreme duribility of the Rovner. I'll probably try the Eddie Daniels model or a few of the Olegs that have caught my eye. After I find a replacement lig, I'll donate my old lig to this forum...or the first taker.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I just tried my Meyer with the stock lig and it was much edgier and free blowing.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Rovner Light, Dark, or the EVO, you can't go wrong. I love em!

·
Registered
238 Posts
SuperAction80 said:
You know, up until yesterday I swore by the Rovner Dark on my Tenor NY Link for several years. I've been having trouble in the altissimo range in the A3 to B4 range. The sax has recently been overhauled so I ruled out the possibility of leaks. I've been switching between Tenor and Bass Clarinet reeds, which helped, but the notes were still problematic. Last night I dug up the stock lig to the STM that I stopped using because it was accidentally dropped and slightly bent. BINGO!!! The notes were popping out with more flexibility than they ever have on the horn.

So now I'm looking for a ligature that holds the reed like the Link's, but has the extreme duribility of the Rovner. I'll probably try the Eddie Daniels model or a few of the Olegs that have caught my eye. After I find a replacement lig, I'll donate my old lig to this forum...or the first taker.
I know you just posted this yesterday, but have you found a replacement lig yet? because I'm using a Rovner Light right now w/ an STM, and I am having alot of trouble reaching upper altissimo on an almost identical setting as you.

I'm debating between an Eddie Daniels or just going with a string lig.

I often play scary gigs where people fly up on the stage from the audience and am scared about using something too delicate.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008,
3,891 Posts
How is the EVO compared to the light? I might be thinking about trying some

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,901 Posts
TetsuoK said:
I know you just posted this yesterday, but have you found a replacement lig yet? because I'm using a Rovner Light right now w/ an STM, and I am having alot of trouble reaching upper altissimo on an almost identical setting as you.

I'm debating between an Eddie Daniels or just going with a string lig.

I often play scary gigs where people fly up on the stage from the audience and am scared about using something too delicate.
Haven't had a chance yet, and I probably won't for a few days. I used to have a Rovner light for my old alto brillhart, and yes the same problems were there...though my ability then was not as good as it is now.

I have been using an Eddie Daniels II on an STM 6* for my alto pre chu and a Mark VII (borrowed) for some time with great success in the altissimo register. The lig was slightly too small for the piece and I had to file a little bit of the top rail that is on all newer Link STM's (I never plan on getting rid of the piece anyways) I can not adjust the plate on the lig because of the tight fit, but standard position seems to work just fine. I'm using Rico Royal alto and Alexander DC's, both 3's.

Kinda funny. I switched to the Rovners in middle school because they "looked cool". I've never questioned if they were the right ligature until yesterday. It took me 10 years to figure out that ligatures in fact DO have an effect on tone. :D

·
Registered
315 Posts
I have both for my tenor

Martin Williams said:
How is the EVO compared to the light? I might be thinking about trying some
I like the EVO better. I feel like notes bend a little easier. The read is not as restricted as with the light.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts