Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Undistinguished SOTW Member
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was at practice yesterday and tried my friends Rousseau Classic 4R mpc and it was good! Seemed very clear and defined sounding.

I've noticed that Rousseau makes several models for soprano - the Classic, the New Classic (NC) and the Studio Jazz (SJ). Does anyone here use any of these mouthpieces on their sopranos, and how do the 3 models differ from each other in sound and playing characteristics?

I am also thinking of exploring a Yani 5 HR for soprano. Any comments about Rousseau vs Yani for soprano? Thanks!

·
Banned
3,665 Posts
Both the Rousseau and the Yani can be good pieces, but they have their differences.
Depending on the horn being played, those differences are either smaller or bigger.

Overall, the Yani is a tighter, more focused sounding piece, tending to go brighter up top. The Rousseau is broader and maybe a bit darker, although still a fairly focused sound. It's just not as tightly wrapped as a stock Yani.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,001 Posts
I tried an SJ for several months a few years ago. I started chewing up my lower lip. There was something about the piece that changed the pressure so that the lower lip moved against the teeth. That did not happen on any of my other soprano or tenor mouth pieces. When I found out even Dr Rousseau uses a teeth guard, I quit using the piece. The problem went away and has not returned with any other piece I have tried since. I played the piece for at least 2 months before the problem became apparent. I think there are many better pieces for the same price - Meyer, Runyon, Yamaha, Selmer S-80 (though this has gotten a bit expensive lately).

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
As with any product made in the J.J. Babbitt factory, the Rousseau mouthpieces are all wildly inconsistent. Plan on trying at least several before making a decision. A good NC4 is a good mouthpiece. A bad NC4 is borderline unplayable. There just happen to be more bad ones than good ones, in my experience.

Edited to add that you should expect the same quality control issues from every Babbitt-produced mouthpiece (Meyer, Otto Link, etc) as well as any mouthpiece made by Selmer Paris (S80, S90, Soloist, etc). Those are my two giant red flag items when mouthpiece shopping either for myself or my students.

·
Banned
686 Posts
I play an SJ6 on soprano and find it to be an excellent, easy to play piece with a tone that I enjoy more than most other soprano pieces I've played. It is very consistent throughout the range in both volume and tone. I chose it over many others to include the Morgan classic I played for years.

·
Banned
3,665 Posts
I tried an SJ for several months a few years ago. I started chewing up my lower lip. There was something about the piece that changed the pressure so that the lower lip moved against the teeth. That did not happen on any of my other soprano or tenor mouth pieces.
I thought of this post yesterday when I had a very experienced player (alto with soprano double) here in my studio. He had played the same Morgan 6 soprano piece for years and liked it but he thought it could be better. There were times, he said, when suddenly the piece would just die in terms of sound and response, with no particular pattern to the problem that he could detect.When I measured it up, I found the very long facing length was not even, that it was much longer on the right side.

I asked him if he had lower lip issues from playing this piece. He was surprised that I asked and said yes, on the right side. Bang!

I suspect that the increased vibration of the reed on the right side at that point either was the direct cause or was indirectly responsible, due to the fact that he had to exert more effort/contact/pressure to secure that part of the reed to the rails, so as to get the reed to respond well. Most likely, it was a combination of the two.

In the end, after evening the facing and shortening it quite a bit ......... No more lip issues from this piece. He said he could feel right away that there was a more comfortable feeling at that point when he played.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts