Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a first mouthpiece (i.e. after the one that came with the instrument) suitable for classical repertoire on an alto.
It looks like a Rousseau would be most suitable. Does anyone have any comments comparing the Classic with the New Classic?
Another option would be a Runyon 88. Any views on this?

Before anyone says a beginner should not use such a mouthpiece I can add that, although new to the saxophone, I play oboe, shawms and still shawms (the still shawms have sax/clarinet shaped DOUBLE reeds).

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
For a relative beginner, either Rousseau should be very good. They are nice free blowing mouthpeices.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,450 Posts
oleathlobhair said:
Before anyone says a beginner should not use such a mouthpiece I can add that, although new to the saxophone, I play oboe, shawms and still shawms (the still shawms have sax/clarinet shaped DOUBLE reeds).
Actually, most people on this forum would be inclined to address the possibility that the mouthpiece that came with your horn would not be at all appropriate for a beginner. Stock mouthpieces can, depending on what you've bought, be complete pieces of junk!

Having a good mouthpiece is very important for a beginner. I don't have direct experience with the Rousseau's, but people tell me they're fine pieces.

The Runyon 88 is okay. It's not close to my first choice as a recomendation as a classical piece. It is fairly inexpensive, however. I would recommend a Vandoren AL3 as they're well made and provide easy tone production

1 - 3 of 3 Posts