Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good review of just about all the major brands of synthetic reeds (except Fibracell), tested on alto and tenor mouthpieces: https://www.thesaxophonist.org/syntheticreedreview.

Bottom line: For jazz, there are many excellent options. The main challenge is matching the right reed to your mouthpiece. For classical (and I could've told you this before reading the reviews), there are really only two viable options: Legere Signature and Forestone Black Bamboo.

There's a companion article with tips for first-time synth reed users: https://www.thesaxophonist.org/syntheticreedprimer. Nothing here will be surprising to long-time users, but it's a good compendium of wisdom that otherwise would have to be gained through personal experience.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
I went on a similar quest about 15 years ago. At that time I tried Fibracel, Legere, Hartman, Hahn, Codera, and Bari. I liked the Fibracel and Legere the best as the others were too bright and brittle sounding for me. I played both for a while but eventually went back to cane. Of the present alternatives I like the Forestones the best but mostly carry them as back ups if I can't get a cane reed to work for an outdoor gig.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I went on a similar quest about 15 years ago. At that time I tried Fibracel, Legere, Hartman, Hahn, Codera, and Bari. I liked the Fibracel and Legere the best as the others were too bright and brittle sounding for me. I played both for a while but eventually went back to cane. Of the present alternatives I like the Forestones the best but mostly carry them as back ups if I can't get a cane reed to work for an outdoor gig.
Codera? I haven't heard of that one before.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
7,906 Posts
Legere Classic on Tenor any good?
I love them on Bari, but have never tried the tenor.
Possibly because I found the Signature on Tenor disappointing.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I haven't tried one but they don't seem to be very popular. It may be worth a try though considering you liked the bari one.

·
Registered
Alto sax, Tenor sax, Clarinet
1,309 Posts
It probably depends on what you found disappointing with your tenor results...response, brightness, darkness? I have been playing the signatures on tenor, and I like them a lot, but I already play a little dark, (my tenor mouthpieces are medium to medium large chamber with roll over baffles, and I play a 1946 10M) so I wanted to try something a little livelier. I had already tried a Legere Studio on my 6M alto, and kind of hated it...too bright and buzzy. Well, after a lot of procrastination, I bought a studio Legere for my tenor and I am really enjoying it. It just adds a little punch without being overly bright or buzzy on my tenor. Exactly what I was looking for.
It seems to me, as with most things, it is dangerous to generalize too much, even with one brand of reed.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
They're not made anymore. But some of their designs may have been incorporated into the Hartmann lineup. Named after Wolf Codera, the Reso Blades guy.
Yes - exactly - very similar to Hartman. The one I have looks almost exactly like the Hartman Carbon Fiberreed. The first one I bought was too soft so I contacted Codera and they told me to send it back to Germany and they'd replace it. Dumbest thing I ever did - paid $20 for that reed and then about $15 to send it to Germany never got a replacement, never heard from Codera. Bought another a little harder but it was bright too. Even 15 years ago these reeds were expensive with many costing more than what a box of cane reeds cost at that time. I think they may be a better deal now relative to the cost of a box of cane reeds than they were then.

There was also a titanium reed back then but they were very expensive. Always wanted to try one of those as it was advertised to last longer than any cane or polymer based reed could. I think the issue with it was that the tip was sharp so you needed to be careful with it in some ways. I've been waiting for someone to invent a synthetic reed that has a titanium or maybe steel core that you slide or snap some sort of polymer tip on to or something else that's really a game-changer when it comes to synthetic reeds but I'm not holding my breath.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I’ve tried a Leger Classic on a Tenor once. The one I played, played much harder the Legere Sig I play normally. I had problems with controlling the reed....I suppose my embouchure would eventually get strong enough - but I didn’t find it very comfortable. My normal reed is a 2.5 Legere Sig on a 110 mouthpiece. Very happy with the Leg Sig

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
7,906 Posts
I’ve tried a Leger Classic on a Tenor once. The one I played, played much harder the Legere Sig I play normally. I had problems with controlling the reed....I suppose my embouchure would eventually get strong enough - but I didn’t find it very comfortable. My normal reed is a 2.5 Legere Sig on a 110 mouthpiece. Very happy with the Leg Sig
Yes they do seem a fair bit harder than their marked strength.
I have a 2 1/4 strength that felt like a Rico Royal 4.
I was working really hard to play it on .110-.115 tips.
But i was advised to dip the tip section into a cup of boiled water for a second or two, then dry it and try again.
It made all the difference, and now it is just the right strength.
I’ve not tried the signatures on baritone as yet.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I have been using Bari and Bari* reeds for quite a few years now but the latest versions are MUCH stiffer than the older reeds I have. I have ventured down the pay of Legere Studios, Fibracells, and Hartman's Fiberreeds. The Legeres seemed good at home but on a R&B gig they simply can't handle a huge airstream. I did try moving up a size but with similar results. The Fiberreed Carbon for tenor and soprano really did not work for me at all as they were just too bright and buzzy. Next up is the Fibracells which work pretty well but also suffer from being overblown on a gig. So....... now I'm back to Baris but have moved down from a medium to soft with good results. Huge sound with some brightness but still good flexibility. The whole panic of not being able to find a reed I like is over but at the expense of a few hundred dollars of experimenting :( I do think about going back to cane but it only takes one box of reeds where there is just one good reed to convince me that it is simply too much work to mess around with.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have tried the plasticover on contralto and tenore, they are good, they last longer than the reeds of cane but the sound is only good, not nice from my point of view. Very good and durable for the study

1 - 13 of 13 Posts