Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
SOTW Member
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me and my Gitar player..outdoor deal, semi-covered patio, breakfast jazz.. we play 9-noon no breaks..they got a couple heaters, but not on us. Gonna be 33 at 5 am probably not much better when we hit at 9 am. Last week was a B*tch this week aye YiYi...peaking at 46 around 1 pm. Wind chill was not nice last week, the last hr playing a frozen tenor was not fun. This week supposed to rain in the PM, hopefully not on us, we quit at noon..anyway, who cares, I need the bread :twisted:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Three hours and no breaks sounds a lot like a Mardi Gras parade! Apples to oranges, I know. If you were marching you'd keep warm, and then some. It was 65F and 85% humidity last night.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,006 Posts
Damn Cash, I feel for you. I hope it pays really well. I hate playing outside in the cold. Playing the horn out in anything below mid 50F degrees is miserable, let alone in the 30s!

Hey, here's an idea regarding the no breaks thing. Let your guitar player do a long solo and you can walk off, hit the restroom, have a glass of wine (or maybe coffee that early in the day), then return to the stage...

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
All I'll say is there isn't enough money to make me do/tolerate that crap. So people are outside eating and sitting if it's that cold.......in Vegas? I can understand needing the bread, but man.....

·
SOTW Member
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well the show came and went and we nailed it again..this gigs' lasted 2 yrs this Aug and we haven't missed a Sun yet.

..actually this week wasn't bad as the previous. Sunny for the most part, last week overcast and a good breeze, brutal..anyway 3 hrs is what we do, the no breaks deal is our idea,because we don't miss any tips..of course we'll pause for the can break or to grab a coffee. My favorite server (a doll) threw me a nice shot of Brandy in my third cup around 10:30.

We get decent bread, the venue throws us 2 bills and this wk we split over $120 in the jar..the restaurant does great business on the week-ends,SRO at times with both locals and tourists. Me and Lyubo dress like eskimos and you'll still get folks wearing shorts and T shirts..go figure.

·
23,006 Posts
you'll still get folks wearing shorts and T shirts..go figure.
Maybe they are sitting under those heaters that aren't being supplied for the band! At least your server is giving you shots of brandy; that should help. I've played some outdoor gigs in the off season where they put a couple of those outdoor heaters over the bandstand and they really work pretty well.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010
3,310 Posts
Me and Lyubo dress like eskimos and you'll still get folks wearing shorts and T shirts..go figure.
Canadians;) I'm secretly laughing at this idea that 40s is too cold to play, never mind the 50s. I played Santa Clause parades in Ontario for years where it never seemed to make it up into the 30s.

·
23,006 Posts
I'm secretly laughing at this idea that 40s is too cold to play..
Not too cold to play. Just too cold to do it comfortably. I'm sure it's possible to play at the North Pole in the dead of winter; doesn't mean I'd want to do it.

·
SOTW Member
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The 40's do mess with intonation on the horns, they cool off quick after a tune, I double on Sop and Flute too, not fun actually.

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
Canadians;) I'm secretly laughing at this idea that 40s is too cold to play, never mind the 50s. I played Santa Clause parades in Ontario for years where it never seemed to make it up into the 30s.
I bet your intonation/musicality was just *stellar*. Good on you for doing it, but that ship sailed for me many, many moons ago.

·
Registered
8,025 Posts
I have my first outdoor gig on the schedule for a mid March St. Paddy’s gig. It could be 30 degrees or in 60’s.
I am not looking forward to it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010
3,310 Posts
I bet your intonation/musicality was just *stellar*. Good on you for doing it, but that ship sailed for me many, many moons ago.
Perhaps the natural cryogenic treatment helped:D

·
23,006 Posts
The 40's do mess with intonation on the horns....
Yeah the horn goes flat while the guitar goes sharp; not a happy situation. You have shove that mpc in and the guitarist has to check his tuning constantly.

·
SOTW Member
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
JL this guy tunes his $100 guitar once at the beginning and I never see him touch it again..lucky for him he can play and he shows up on time.

Oh yeah Sunday's gonna be fun..snowed in Boulder City this AM:bluewink:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts