Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a fairly consistent saxophone practice routine. I have neck and back issues creating interesting practice set-ups - none the less, I'm making steady progress. I go through periods of only practicing alto (like this past summer), then I'll spend a month only on soprano. I've spent the last 4 months primarily on tenor with the help of a milk crate to support the weight. The last few days have been back on soprano. I also practice Sopranino, Clarinet, Flute, and Oboe but at different times during the day and very inconsistently.

Here's the question: (Drum roll please) Do you bother trying to even out practice on different saxophones or do you just go with what feels right at the time?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2011
781 Posts
I do the bulk of my practicing on tenor, since I consider it to be my main axe. I play my alto daily with my alto students, which means I've got it in my hands 4-6 hours each day - that's obviously not my personal practice time, but I do end up playing it a good bit. I keep my soprano out, and at night after teaching and practicing all day, I use it for transcribing and learning new tunes. The bari comes out on gigs - just not enough hours in the day.

Randy
www.randyhunterjazz.com
Online Jazz Lessons and Books
New Lesson:
Making Sense of Jazz Improvisation
Lesson Series:
Introduction to the Blues
The Arpeggio Circle
Through the Keys
and more...
Lessons page: www.beginningsax.com/Jazz Improv Lessons.htm
Rhythm Changes Demo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrT0Xw_y9d0
Rhythm Changes Lesson:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMOW7QAfpwo

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,878 Posts
I try to rotate at least among Tenor, Alto, Soprano (which gets played a lot less than it really should.....), I have to admit that the horn I play the least by far is the Baritone which is definitely the least played . I am going to buy a sopranino soon.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
Most of my practice is with whatever sax is out on the rack ready to play. I mostly practice to train my hands to play a specific tune and to work out any ad-libs I may use. So the sax I use to do this doesn't matter much. Of course, when getting reading for a performance, I will always switch to the sax I plan to perform with to work out the voicing.

PS: I've got a really bad headache and congestion this morning. And that's why I'm here on Sunday morning. I'd like to grab and blow the sax in front of me right now. But I think my head would explode. :cry:

·
Registered
297 Posts
I'm primarily splitting my time between the tenor, the alto, and flute. The tenor is my principal instrument so I put in more time with it than the others. But the alto is probably a close second these days since I've partnered up with a friend for some duets and he has gotten us some gigs. The flute is a new thing for me and I'm trying to be consistent in putting in time every day with it. I don't think it would work for me to only practice one instrument for days or weeks at a time. There are enough differences between instruments that I feel my technique would suffer if I let one set for more than a day or two. Just for general reference, I practice (on average) four hours a day, the most I can get in with life's other demands.

I also play some piano, clarinet, oboe, and recorder, but these are more for my personal entertainment and/or composition work and aren't on a schedule of practice. Sorry about the issues with your neck and back. I'm 61 and have transitioned to a harness for the tenor (and sometimes just leave it on for the alto as well). I admire your dedication. Keep playing and take care of yourself, AGreene.

Paul

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009-
2,759 Posts
The first thing that came to mind when I saw the thread title was some sort of revolving Leslie device!

Tenor's my main axe, and I pretty much practice it exclusively. But I'm usually given a few weeks' heads up if someone wants a clarinet or bass clarinet, and that's enough time to get my chops together. If I have a gig where I think a bari double would be useful, same thing. With the clarinets, I need a little time to get my embouchure back. For bari, it's mainly about getting my right hand limbered up; I've got to stretch a bit to work the Eb and C on my Beaugnier.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
I also play a variety of horns. I'll practice on the ones for which I've got upcoming gigs.
Yep, this is what I do as well....

·
Registered
386 Posts
Tenor, piano-six days a week. I take one day off.

Doubles...I pick one only (alto/clarinet/flute) and practice it daily also for a couple weeks. Then I switch to the next. Don't know why but it works for me OK.

:glasses7:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
631 Posts
I am on alto for most of the time and soprano for the rest of the time.
I bring both horns to gigs nowadays. choice of which horn depends on the song and the feel I wish to bring across.
wish that I spent more time on tenor.

·
Banned
1,812 Posts
I practice sax, trumpet, cello and a little keyboard every day and today I'm going to try to pick up my guitar again.

I have invested so much time and money in this sax that I feel like I must practice several days per week or I risk having my embouchure slip.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts