Sax on the Web Forum banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
This thread reminds me of an expression I heard at a NAPBIRT Convention I had never heard before. That was, a pad extending too far out of a keycup was said to be "too proud". Perhaps the pads in the O.P's sax could be said to be too "shy". ;)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,699 Posts
This thread reminds me of an expression I heard at a NAPBIRT Convention I had never heard before. That was, a pad extending too far out of a keycup was said to be "too proud". Perhaps the pads in the O.P's sax could be said to be too "shy". ;)
"Proud" is an archaic term that means to stick out past flush, often used in woodworking.

And yes, John, "shy" is the complement of "proud". It is used more often than "proud" in modern common language, for example, in football, where one might comment that a play is "just shy of making the goal".

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
I think the terms are relatively common in woodwork and engineering, when actually quantifying is too much trouble.

·
34,699 Posts
I think the terms are relatively common in woodwork and engineering, when actually quantifying is too much trouble.
If you need to quantify, you call out the dimensional error in units of "smidge".

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
If you need to quantify, you call out the dimensional error in units of "smidge".
Very good!
Hence a decismidge, decasmidge, hectasmidge, etc.

·
34,699 Posts
We tend to think in terms of a gnat's crotchet
I recall you talking in quavers, too. Which is almost interesting in that there is a term in physics regarding short amounts of time, "shakes".

·
34,699 Posts
My guess...not seated wit enough cement to float the pad.
Pads come in varying thicknesses. You don't want so much cement as to change the height of a too-thin pad.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts