Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel the need to re-address this discussion, as pieces of what I need to know are in several threads but nothing complete (that I've seen):

I'm considering Roo Pads and Maestro Star Resonators for my Yamaha 82Z Tenor that sees very long (4 hr) gigs with a show band. I can brighten with the mouthpiece/ reed and neck. I want to get a pad set-up that will produce the best, most solid sound I can get.

Here are my questions:

1) Black or White Roo pads. Is one really better suited for my needs than the other?
Is one really softer than the other?

2) Does soft vs. hard affect the sound or just address leaking? Does soft vs. hard affect longevity?

3) Will using key clamps help/ hurt or increase/ decrease the pad life?

4) Are the Maestro Star 'Airtight' resonators good for solid sound and response? (I know folks seemed to 50/50 like/dislike the Star 'Classic' series)

5) If the aforementioned resonators are quality products and will give me the tone I need, will they rust easily if I pick up the Gold Plated Brass ones?

I know there's a lot of questions here, but I wouldn't ask if I already knew!
Thanks for any help you can give!:mrgreen:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
Rockstar,
I would buy the pads that look the best to you. I recently put white roos with silver domes seamless resos in my silver Z -- more because of how it looks! It happens to sound great too, but probably no different than if I had it repadded with stock pads. If I had to do again, I'd go with black pads since the white gets dirty oh so easily from silver tarnish -- it's driving me crazy already!

As fas as longevity goes -- I believe a well-seated pad on a level tone hone wears the longest. A hard pad should wear longest too, since crushed padding and felt can distort a pad and make it more prone to leaking over time. Yamaha uses a pretty firm pad anyway, so I doubt there is much difference in a Roo pad.

Key clamps? I wouldn't use them as a matter of course. Techs use them on the horn, but once well seated, I see no real reason to put key clamps on your horn.

Resos? Again, I don't have done enough scientific (controlled environment) study on resos to say they make a lot of difference in sound. Again, buy what you think looks the best.

The Z is a bright horn that requires the care that one would use in handling a razor or laser. You can't get lazy with it. The G1 neck is bright! G3 less so. IMHO the silver Zs I've tried (and own) seems more mellow than the lacquered ones. I know finish 'doesn't make a difference' but this has been my experience with the samples I've tried.

My advice is to buy (pads and resos) what looks good to you. If the horn already sounds the way you want it to, the only difference pads and resos will make will be subtle despite hyperbole you might get from others with apparently keener senses. :)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Black Roo pads and Resotech resos. for the Z i would go with domed ones. you can try www.musicmedic.com for ROO pads or www.prestiniusa.com for Kangaroo pads. for the Resos contact http://www.reso-tech.us/
I have both. I have a conn 6m with the ROO banded pads and a King super 20 with Prestini Kangaroo pads. Based on my usage. you cant go wrong with either. the Music medic ones are softer felted while the Prestini are harder felted. teh difference is marginal. the conn has Maestro resos and the King has oversize resotech flat resos. contrary to what people will say. resos do have an effect on projection and sound. The key to an overhaul and kangaroo pads is a LEVEL tone hole. kangaroo skin is tougher than regular leather and is less forgiving if the tone hole is not level. EVERY Mass produced horn will have tone hole issues due to the buffing process.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
1,425 Posts
Disclaimer: Since I make and/or invented and install most of the products you've mentioned, I am bias. Maybe I'm also the most knowledgable.

1. Yes there is a real difference. Get the black ones for what you're thinking. They can be cleaned easier and and I doubt you will benefit from a little less pad noise which the white ones offer.

2. Not so much. The black ones will last a little longer for you because they are a little more water proof.

3. I wouldn't use them if you're playing that much.

4. They are great for what you're doing.

5. They used to rust. About 4 years ago I switched to solid brass and solid brass rivets with plating. So they will not rust. Brass never rusts and gold plate is very stable especially on brass. No worries.

Good luck!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts