Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know they both played hard rubber Bergs, any info on the facing of those mouthpieces? What about the horns? Reeds? Thanks for any info....

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008-
2,375 Posts
joe farrell

Joe played a gold plated #150### (or close) Mark vi.
I was offered it after his death by his widow ,I turned it down ,at the time too expensive.............
I think it was $5000....! oh well
Sam

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info guys. I'm looking for their hard rubber setup on tenor. Joe may have switched to metal later in his career but I am interested in what he played earlier with the hard rubber Berg. Furthermore, I know Ronnie Laws plays on a La Voz hard reed but I don't know the opening of his rubber Berg.

·
Banned
333 Posts
I believe Ive read & heard by various sources that it was a 100/1 hard rubber berg with a very hard reed, like (at that time) Brown Box regular Rico 4 1/2 or 5.

I think you can kinda tell its a hard set-up, if you listen closely, esp. in the recordings of the Elvin Jones 1960s period.

I also think I heard the played on a soprano Soloist "G" facing.

I believe Tim Price knew him personally, starting in the very late 60's and could tell us more definitively what he remembers it to be.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
1,564 Posts
I asked Joe about his setup at Bourbon Street, a club in Toronto, in February 1984. He told me he was using a rubber Berg that was 95/1 and orange box Ricos that were number 5s. I heard him play four times that week, his playing was terrific.

I have seen photos of Joe playing a STM Link.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts