Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 238 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,380 Posts
That is very sad. I remember playing with hin in a big band years ago in marin county. then getting one of his first 130 tip tenor pieces. I still use his 115 B rollover piece. So sorry to hear this K

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Tragic. He'll continue to live on through the music many of us will continue to make with his great mouthpieces long after his passing. RIP, Ron.

·
SOTW Columnist/ Forum Contributor 2014, Disti
2,771 Posts
This hits home. Many good memories of long conversations with Ron over the years and playing his m/p's for many years. Just glad he was there and made the m/p's that he did for so many of us. Thanks for letting us know.

·
Registered
715 Posts
That‘s really sad news. He was a great craftsman and a nice guy to talk on the phone. And he was probably full of plans for 2020 ...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,968 Posts
That‘s really sad news. He was a great craftsman and a nice guy to talk on the phone. And he was probably full of plans for 2020 ...
And you may have gotten his last mouthpiece. Savor it.

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,787 Posts
RIP Ron Coelho! This is so sad and surprising as I just talked to him for a couple hours in October before I reviewed his Ultem tenor mouthpiece. He had story after story to tell me and although we did talk about some of his medical issues as well as my history, I did not get the impression that his death was around the corner. I guess you never know. You will be missed Ron........

·
SOTW Administrator
26,204 Posts
So sorry to hear this. A master craftsman is now gone.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I just talked to him in early November or late October before his surgery, was waiting for two mouthpieces and he was great talking to... Very sad to hear the news, RIP.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,116 Posts
What a loss. I spoke to him within the past month. He did mention health issues, but was much more preoccupied raving about Alma Deutscher (!) and insisting that I should listen to her (which I did). RIP.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
So sad to hear the news! Rest In Peace, Ron. He was one of a kind and really had a special gift. Peace to his family and friends.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,126 Posts
A lot of us spoke on the phone with Ron and learned from him. He was a generous with his time and an excellent mouthpiece maker.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,160 Posts
Funny guy. I had him make me a mouthpiece many years ago and he was playing examples of various pieces over the phone. So passionate.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Saddened by this news. I was lucky enough to have met him when he was in Tacoma and he couldn’t have been more gracious with his time and knowledge.

RIP, Ron.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
RIP, Ron. So sad to hear he's gone, and at such a young age. I knew he'd been struggling with his health but I had no idea it was so serious. I have two of his pieces, a rollover and a high baffle, and they are the only tenor pieces I ever play. I'll never let them go.

1 - 20 of 238 Posts